Tuesday, June 26, 2007
Monday, June 25, 2007
The rules come first:
OK, here goes…
1. I was a card carrying, fringe and bead wearing, protesting hippie in the sixties. No hard drugs for this chick, however, I’m allergic to caffeine, for heaven’s sake!
2. In sixty five years I have moved more than thirty times. I have a bit of Gypsy in my soul, but it was usually for other reasons, and no, I was not on the lam.
3. I have been drawing since I was very young. I hid in my closet and drew fanciful stories when the home front went to war.
4. I love to dance and took many styles of dance classes, but, alas, I was too short to try for a career.
5. My favorite footwear has always been western boots.
6. I ran for many years and preferred to run barefoot and at night. I liked to dance as I ran and the dark made for good cover…didn’t want anyone to think I was nuts as I gyrated and bopped along.
7. I have very little gray hair, it runs in the family. Our Holland Dutch heritage, we presume. What’s funny is that I’d love some white mixed in…I’ve earned it!
8. My favorite food group is…Nachos! Hold the beans (ugh) and throw on the black olives!
Thursday, June 21, 2007
Monday, June 18, 2007
Paige is thirteen, the tallest woman in the family (this is relevant because our ladies are all VERY short and we find amusement in this fact) and is a very accomplished writer. She is writing a book, eight chapters completed, and it is nothing short of amazing. Yes, I am prejudiced, but the vote is in from many adults, including teachers.
Sarah, twelve, wants to be a fashion designer and has created, on the computer, some excellent designs. She has a definite flair for color and interesting combinations, and accessorizes with pizazz. She is learning Photoshop to give her a head start on the tech side of creating.
Last, but not least, is Ryan, now three. He runs around being Batman, more often Spiderman, and if you pass too close you are liable to end up in a Spidey net! He's funny, as they all are, and keeps up with the gang when we are all together.
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Tornadoes have a stunning power that mesmerizes while they tear across the land leaving devastation is their wake, and I couldn't help but wonder if there wasn't some good use for all that raging energy. And then it hit me...a solution for a major problem.
Tuesday, June 05, 2007
Sunday, June 03, 2007
The Swimming Hole
Warm the forest floor
Steep, narrow paths, like tentacles
Reach to the brook below
The ground, dappled with light
Gives way to the rushing stream and frigid pools
Sun baked rocks and deep shadows
Embrace dark green water
The hum of darting insects
Fills the dense air
As clothes are flung to the ground
And the body offered to silken depths