Sunday, April 20, 2008

Thinking of Lynn


My reconnection with my "little" sister, Lynn, has been one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life. Born when I was 10, my baby sister captured my heart and my imagination. You would think that the difference in our ages would have kept us from being playmates, but this was not the case. I enjoyed having her with me as I played in my room or out in the backyard, a towheaded, good-natured little tyke who seemed to think I was as much fun as I thought she was.

As the years went by we stay connected until circumstances, family baggage and misunderstandings intervened and we lost touch with one another. She is back in my life now and she is one of the most natural, easy people I have ever known. Joyful, honest, forthright and warm, she has a heart that is huge, an energy that knows no bounds and the soul of an angel.

Her home is a 9-hour drive from here and still she manages frequent visits. In between the times we have together, she sends packages to help brighten my days. Sometimes she sends things designed to help manage ALS, other times I'll open a box and find a movie she thinks I would enjoy or an article of bright clothing chosen to lift my spirits. The latest treasure was a hand-painted egg, covered with flowers and a trio of bunnies, to help welcome spring.

A while ago she sent me a collection of photographs she had taken of sunflowers and wanted to know if I could create some kind of a collage of my favorites for her to print out to hang on her wall. The picture above is the result... I think she likes it.

I love you, Little Sis

12 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That's so great to hear -- that you guys have reconnected. Life is too short not too, but many don't see it that way.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

You are very lucky to have such a loving sister Pam. It's a beautiful collage that she will always treasure.

Love you,
Robin

1:18 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

This is heart-warming, Pam. I agree with AC...life is way too short to waste any of it on bad Karma. So glad you are back together.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

What's not to like???It's a great picture, you did a great job for her! I'm glad you two have found a way back to each other!

12:05 AM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

What a beautiful and loving tribute to your little sister. It's such a good feeling to mend fences - I know from experience with my own dear sister.

The collage is really nice and I like the fact that it's a faux bulletin board. Great work and I know she'll love it!

2:31 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Oh Pam! Sunflowers! Your treatment is fun and perfectly suited to the happy nature of these wonderful flowers.

I know Lynn would say what you wrote of her; that you are ' . . Joyful, honest, forthright and warm . . . and possessed of a heart that is huge."

You are both, indeed, blessed.

Big hug,
Cathy

9:29 PM  
Blogger Crayons said...

Hi Pam
I enjoyed this little tribute. I think the key is that you reconnected. I sometimes suffer from bumps and bruises with my siblings. It's way too easy for me to let them keep me away. Thanks for sharing this.

If you ever wanted to publish more kitty photos, that would be ok.

12:54 AM  
Blogger joared said...

Very colorful attractive collage you created for your sister. So glad the two of you have each other again. My brother is ten years older than me -- we love each other dearly, but when I was young he delighted in teasing the life out of me, and still will -- guess that's the boy of it.

I recently found time to visit some new (to me) blogs. One was a gal named, Tammy. I told her about you and she already knew you! I'm not too bright sometimes. Thought you might get a laugh from that!

12:59 AM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

That is really beautiful, Pam. You are so talented.

7:25 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Pam--I am so glad you reconnected with your sister. The tribute is lovely.
There really is nothing else like a sister--brothers are great, but sisters...well, they're just extra special.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Hi Pam: It's been a few weeks since we've heard from you and I just want you to know that I think of you often and hope you are not suffering a setback. You are my hero!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Helloooooo....Are you in here? We are missing you....

That's us there with our noses pressed against the glass in your monitor, trying to see in.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home