Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Migration



Before ALS stole the best of my hands, I had been doing a lot of paper sculpture, a medium I found I enjoyed more than my pastels and pencils. The possibilities seemed endless and exciting, taking my drawings and adding physical dimension.

The piece I was working on last remains unfinished in my studio. It was inspired by the magnificent migration of the Monarch butterfly from North America to Mexico. Rather than give up my idea, I thought I would try recreating the three dimensional concept in my computer and see what happened.

Fortunately, I had scanned and saved the wings and bodies I had drawn for the original and was able to use them for what you see here.

In our busy, fast paced lives, many of us miss the deep rhythms of our planet, the forces that drive these delicate creatures to undertake their perilous journey. They are an inspiration to us all.

9 Comments:

Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Oh Spike, I'm amazed at your butterflies! I'm glad you saved them for this wonderful piece. Love it!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You're very creative. I hate that about you (kidding). ;)

4:11 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

That's lovely, Pam. You are as much an inspiration as the Monarch butterflies.

5:02 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

You are so talented. That is beautiful.

7:26 PM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

It, of course, is beautiful and I like your larger point as well. :)

9:26 AM  
Blogger Producciones Amadeus said...

this is very beautiful, congratulations !!!!!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

I guess in life you can be the flying butterfly or the one that gets pinned. You chose the former. I'm right there with ya, sista.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Spike? Spike?

The force that drives the butterflies to Mexico is the same as the force which through the green fuse drives the flower...and brings the swallows back to Capistrano.... I love your butterflies! When I was about nine, thousands, maybe millions of Monarchs came across the Mojave desert, where I lived. The air AIR was alive, and moving.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Bitterroot said...

This is very beautiful, Pam. So ethereal and delicate.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home