Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Building of Camp



There were a couple of comments on my camp post that made me think it might be fun to blog about how our camp came to be. Mama P. asked if we owned a cabin or if camp was on our property, and Bonita said our camp reminded her of a yurt. Both of these points are relevant.

First, the property. With the passing of my husband's parents he and his children inherited the family homestead, property that has been in his family for 175 years. It consists of a farmhouse and a small barn on 200 acres of land on Eagleshead Mountain, which overlooks the Black River Valley and is, to my eyes, one of the most beautiful places on earth. Down the lane from the farmhouse his father had built a log cabin that had, over the years, begun to rot into the ground.

My husband and I had spent many summers pitching a tent and camping in the yard in front of the old cabin when we decided to raze it and build a place of our own for weekends and summers. Our first thought was a yurt, but they are expensive and we wanted something more personal. After some deliberation, we decided to build a camp of our own design and to build it from the trees available to us on our mountainside. Willie cut and dragged the trees from the forest, removed their limbs, then rolled them to me and I stripped the bark with a Peavey. Beams and boards were cut and stacked to dry.

Because we liked the appearance of the yurts, Willie designed the building with eight sides to give it that rounded look. The first summer we managed to complete the framework and the roof. The following winter Willie designed and built a door and the cupola, which he topped off with copper. The next summer the sides went up, the windows went in, the cupola was placed on top and we finished up with the door. That fall we installed an antique wood stove that had been in the farmhouse, put in some old rugs, bought a futon and finally got to spend our first weekend under our roof. We had the first snowstorm of the season that night and our friends all drove through the heavy snow to join us in a camp warming.

It has been a few years since that first incredible weekend and we have added kitchen cabinets, sink and stovetop and a lovely table for dining. The cabinets and table were both built by my husband from the old butternut tree in the front yard and, like our camp, are a work of art. Camp is cozy and warm in the winter, comfortably cool in summer and shows off my husband's considerable talents. It is my favorite place to be.


10 Comments:

Blogger Endment said...

What a wonderful retreat Love your design

9:23 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What a special spot made all the better because of how it came into being.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

WHAT AN INTERESTING, FUN-TO-READ POST! OOOps. So sorry. I didn't mean to yell, and I'll be quiet now...but I enjoyed learning all this.

Shhhh.....shhhhh....

12:31 AM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

You and your husband have made a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the beauty. Such wonderful memories you must have. He surely is talented. How lucky you both are.
Very impressive!!

(Do you have any running water?)

11:40 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Pam - What a wonderful, delightful story. I love Pepe's response :0)

Gosh. You really have been blessed. And yes, I second everyone's comments and of course Alyssa's regarding the 'happy memories.' Wow.

6:31 PM  
Blogger kate said...

I loved hearing about how your cabin came to be. No wonder it is your favourite place. The surroundings are breathtaking.

It must have been great fun planning it and then building it in stages. I like how you had a camp warming too!!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I would love to see this cabin. It is very lovely, all the more so because you built it yourself, using materials from your own land. Way to go!

8:15 PM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

Can I come visit you and camp? No joke. I'm a horrible traveler, but one day? Please?

12:10 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

To all: thank you for your comments, I knew you'd enjoy this story.
Joyce, I enjoyed your enthusiasm, yelling is good! And Mama P. you can visit any time. Bonita, I knew you'd like it, you're my camping buddy. Kate, it was the BEST. AC, you are 100% correct, Endment, Will did do a good job with the design, didn't he? Cathy, you are right, we are very blessed and Alyssa, so very many memories and hopefully, many more to come.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Bitterroot said...

Thanks for sharing this with us, Pam. From our own experience with a little family place, I know how much of your heart resides in this place.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home