Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Hard Work and Humor

Here is my husband standing next to 14 cords of wood... give or take. We heat our home with an outside would furnace and now that I can't help, Will has to get all the wood for the winter on his own. From cutting down the trees to removing the limbs and dragging them out of the woods, from cutting the logs into measured lengths and stacking them, it is an arduous but satisfying task.

Willie spent last week's vacation in the woods out past camp cutting and stacking wood, getting it ready to bring home for this year's heating season. Except for some help from his cousin and a friend on Monday, my husband is responsible for the impressive stack of wood you see above.

I used to love helping Will get the wood stacked up for winter...the smell of crisp, late summer days mingling with the pungent aroma of the woods, the sounds of the forest lost in the crashing of trees and the wine of the chainsaw, and the fulfillment of hard work and sweat as our pile grew ever larger. And the camaraderie of labor shared and enjoyed. However, I am secure in the knowledge that I will be warm through the long Vermont winter thanks to my husband's efforts.

And now, a little humor...




14 Comments:

Blogger Ginnie said...

First of all, I will be in Vermont for just a short 2 day stay so the 70 miles would be too far...but you will be in my thoughts even more than usual while I am there.
Now......as to the wood gathering. That was one of my late husband's favorite things...the getting, cutting and stacking of firewood each year. He said it was very cathartic.
Lastly...I love the cartoon. It wouldn't surprise me at all if you took the big jump in your chair!
There isn't a timid bone in your body!

4:52 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

ROTFL! I *heart* YOU!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Wow, you go Willie! In CA we buy a cord and they deliver. lol We are getting too lazy but that is a ton of wood!

I had TK today and I loved the cartoon. :)

Love you!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

My back hurts when I look at that pile.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

You are never without your humor. Crazy lady! Love it!

12:22 AM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

PS: I love your hubby.

12:23 AM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

You made my day, Pam. You are an incredible woman.

12:58 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Ginny, your husband was right, it is very cathartic. And great exercise! Will you be in Vermont for foliage?

Pepek,ROTFL? I don't know that one. I "heart" you too... big-time.

Tammy, no sense in us buying wood when there are acres of it on family land and we are eager to cut it.

Love you, too... still waiting for things to settle here, nurses, PT's, OT's and my caseworker still coming through the door like gangbusters.

AC, I think EVERYTHING on Willie hurt by the time he was done!

Mama P, what would we do without our humor, eh? As for my hubby, yeah, he's pretty OK.

Laurie, the feeling is mutual, sweetie.

5:53 AM  
Blogger julia said...

Hello Pam
I am wandering over from France to say I have just discovered your blog and look forward to getting to know you

1:17 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Pam--deciphering ROTFL=rolling on the floor laughing.
What a stack of wood! WOW.

10:05 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

That is a big pile... but the background is just beautiful! :)


Peace,

~Chani
http://thailandgal.blogspot.com

10:08 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Mouse, hello! Thanks for stopping by, I'll pay a return visit very soon.

Kgmom, thanks for the definition, I love that kind of laughter and indulge as often as possible.


Chani,yeah, very big, and now he has to bring it on home and stack it!

5:44 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Pam, I love, love, LOVE your sense of humor! You have a wonderful husband, too. You guys must laugh together alot. I used to live in a house heated with only wood -- so I can relate to getting the wood, splitting it and stacking a winter's worth of fuel. It was alot of work, but kept me fit and shapely (heheh) now that we heat with gas, well, I can say for sure I'm not as fit as I used to be. ;-)

12:56 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Those are impressive stacks of wood! I'm sure you cheer your husband on and that's important too.

It isn't so common seeing wood piled up like this here ... we all seem to go for gas heating now except at the lake.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home