Tuesday, August 07, 2007

On Going To Camp




Like everyone else, I'm rather tired of the heat and humidity. I love summer and I certainly don't want to wish my days away, God knows. But with ALS, the hot sticky weather is very debilitating and I've had to stay inside with the AC running for days on end. And even with the monotonous drone of the air conditioner filling our days, that nasty, thick air works it's evil and saps my strength.
I am, by nature, a fairly even tempered individual. A glass half full kind of person. BUT, after suffering through an intestinal bug, on top of the insufferable weather last week, by Saturday I was some kind of fed up and cranky! I was ready to fire up the Batchair and run over the first person who crossed my path.

Blessedly, by Sunday, the air had changed and we were given the gift of a crystal-clear, crisp and moderately tempered Vermont summer day. Knowing how much I needed a change, my dear husband suggested that we go to camp. So, doing our imitation of the Clampetts, we packed all my necessary gear into the back of the Subaru and headed to Eagleshead Mountain.

It was the most incredible day. The sky was a vibrant shade of robin's egg blue, the deep greens of high summer glistened under a lemon sun, trees danced to the rhythm of a gentle breeze and all was well in my world. While my husband mowed the lawn, I basked in the day, breathing in the sweet fragrance of freshly mown grass as I watched two red tail hawks circling above.
I read for a while and when my husband was done we indulged in pleasant conversation and companionable silences as we listened to the sighing, whispering wind, the rattle and creak of branch against branch and the piercing call of the hawks

I came home calm and renewed.

11 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

Wow.. that sounds absolutely wonderful!

And, yes, the heat definitely makes a person cranky. LOL


Peace,

~Chani

10:32 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Ha! I love those companionable silences too, most especially when canoeing on still water. Nature can blast a lot of heat, but it is merciful too, if we take the time to notice.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

A balm for the soul, eh?

5:19 PM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

"doing our imitation of the Clapetts"... this is your only indication of being of a generation older than mine. Pam, you crack me up. I'm sorry you weren't feeling your best. I am liking the dragon because I've missed your humor more than you know.

7:24 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

So glad you got a change of scenery, a change of weather and a renewed spirit.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I have been watching your weather and it has been very wet!

I love that you finally were able to get out for the day. Being housebound stinks!

Love you!

12:06 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

I am so glad you feel renewed, Pam. It sounds as if it was a stellar day. How lovely.

Hugs,
Laurie

3:01 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday Dear Batman, Happy Birthday to you....

And Many More....

On Channel Four.... :D

8:25 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

65? Gee, you're OLD. (Not as old as I am tho')

8:29 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Happy birthday dear Batman!

Love your cape crusader!

XXOO

2:16 PM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Sometimes days where nothing exceptional happens are the best. New mown grass is the most wonderful smell and I'm happy you could enjoy a soul-renewing day.

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home