Sunday, July 01, 2007

Thank you, Sarah



I had a frightening and bizarre accident last week while Sarah was visiting for a few days and I would like to thank, and commend her, on her cool head in the face of misadventure.

The temperature here hit 96 degrees last Wednesday, the barometer dropped, the humidity was very high and the dew point was unbearable. This kind of weather is debilitating for someone with ALS, and the strength I do have deserted me in the face of air that felt more like water. I knew, the night before, that I wasn't right, but the full extent of my difficulties didn't come to bear until the next morning.

I am, usually, still capable of easing myself up and shifting my body from one chair to another. It takes a bit to do it, but I manage. Thursday morning, when I went into the bathroom to use the commode, I found that I could not get up. Four tries later I was still stuck in the Batchair, but unwilling to cry uncle. On the fifth try, my legs gave out and I fell. The good news is that my rear found purchase on the edge of the Batchair...the bad news is that, to quote my dear friend, Tammy, I did a faceplant in the can. The seat is a high rise handicapped rig so my face had a little height, thank God, but my arms were folded under me and I could not move.

I called to Sarah, who came in and carefully lifted me to an upright position. She didn't balk, stayed cool and saved the day. I was most impressed with her calm under fire. We then called Will and he came home from work to help me for the rest of the day and Friday. I am just now starting to manage on my own again.

Tammy has officially dubbed her Batgirl, and I concur! Oh, and Will got us an air conditioner.

15 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

Wow.. what a scary event! How's your climate control inside?


Peace,

~Chani

9:41 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Sometimes I feel that such misadventures are worth it for the material they provide. :)

There's nothing wrong with your spirit, Pam.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

As a caregiver in assisted living, I saw accidents like this all the time. You were so fortunate, Pam, that a dear little helper at the ready, and that she was able to put things in order. Good for her!

I'm astounded at the temperatures right now in Montana. Eastern Washington will have temps around 104 next weekend - we would have gone camping there.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Pam - Thank goodness that Sarah was there and able to handle the situation. Hopefully, with the new air conditioner some of your discomfort and weakness will be lessened. Take it easy and recuperate from the scare.

I really love the picture of her - she looks like a guardian angel.

Stay safe.

Alyssa

12:19 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

We all took that tumble with you, Pam. We all felt the tender hands of your angel as she helped correct your course. I hope things have cooled a bit for you - be it nature's air-conditioner or the man-made variety.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Keep those spirits high my dear batman! You should be so proud of batgirl and Alfred! Teamwork!

I love you!
Robin

1:39 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

I'm so glad you are OK and that your little helper handled everything so well.

4:44 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Aw--what a treasure. And I love your photo tribute!
I have a friend who has MS and heat is terrible for him.
Glad you are now OK. But that was certainly a scare.

8:56 PM  
Blogger kate said...

I love the picture you did of Sarah ... what a sweetie! And she saved the day so definitely is Batgirl ... grace under pressure, I'd say.

And thankfully you now have air conditioning. It will make a big difference on days when it is stifling. I'm glad you have Will!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

Oh man, that was not good. I am so glad you are okay. Don't pull an Elvis on me, pleeeeeeze.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

High heat and humidity...what a bad mix and thank God that Sarah was there to help. I know she must have been thrilled to be able to help and I'm so glad that you have air-conditioning now.
You are in my thoughts daily, Pam.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I wanted to mention that the picture of Sarah is precious. What a sweetheart. Hope you're doing OK and cooling off a bit. *Hugs*

9:01 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Hurrah for Batgirl! And hurrah for air conditioners!

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, Pam. How scary for both of you. I'm not sure how you manage to be so upbeat when you tell an accident story. It's funny though, I can totally relate to your unwillingness to call for help.

Sarah sounds like a great person. Actually you sound like a great team.

I'm sending you power, strength and certainty.

12:14 AM  
Blogger Bitterroot said...

Pam, I was so sorry to hear of your accident. Your wonderful spirit shines through, no matter what new challenges the day may bring. I think of you so often and hope your new arrangments will bring you some comfort.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home