Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Family, Birthdays and Viking Games

On Saturday we had a collective birthday party; mine, my husband's, who's birthday is today and his daughter's, Angela, who's birthday was last week. We had enough delectable food to feed a platoon and our laughter echoed through the Black River Valley from early afternoon until dark. The only person missing from these festivities was my grandson, Alex. He had organized a band concert at the skate park to raise money for park improvement and was busy organizing and performing.

That takes care of family and birthdays but I bet you are wondering about those Viking games, aren't you? My son-in-law, Rick, is responsible for that part of our fun. The game is called Kuub (no guarantee on the spelling) and involves everyone. We divide into two teams and rectangular blocks are lined up in front of each team, team one's blocks in front of team two and vice versa. The king is placed in the center. Batons are issued to the starting team and the object is to knock your blocks down. It's way more involved than this but there is no need to bore you with details, better I should tell you that there is much yelling and hand slapping, and enthusiastic Viking roars can be heard for miles. I referee.

Now for an explanation of photos: the following is Will's aunt Skip, our family matriarch and all-around good sport. At the age of 82, she still participates in our games and hilarity. Woo hoo aunt Skip!



This next picture is me with Sarah and Paige. My recently, enthusiastically highlighted hair was done by my daughter Deb and has been voted by the family, a success.



And here is team A lined up for a game of Kuub.

The man in the hat is my husband, the one in the dark shirt is Scott, his daughter's husband, the blue shirt is his cousin Michael and in the white shirt, Shawn, his son.




And this is Shawn's son, Ryan.


Here we have little Ryan's mom, Jacqui with their daughter Emily, sitting with Will's daughter, Angela.



And last, but not least, my daughter Laura on the far right,daughter Debbie and son-in-law, Debbie's husband, Rick.

Below that,Shawn and Jacqui's cats, Rascal and Bubbles









14 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Happy Birthday to your hubby!

What a great party! Viking games and flowers on the table. What a lovely family - so much to be grateful for.

Yes! I love the highlights. Good job, Deb.

I love the last picture. Purrrfect.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Happy birthday to the both of you! What a lovely family - I'll root for the A-team.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Happy birthday Willy! You look great blonde but next picture I want some TEETH! lol Sexy mama you!

Love you!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

What wonderful memories you'll have to tuck away for a rainy day. It looks like lots of fun and much love.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

What a wonderful family you have. That must have been a lot of fun. I'm glad you were able to enjoy everyone's company. I think playing games can sometimes be more fun than just talking. I know the young people sure like it. Next month we are going to have a multi bithday party too. It will be my sister, nephew, brother and I. Nothing like family get-togethers!

1:18 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

Great pictures! You do look good with the highlighted hair. :)


Peace,

~Chani

9:11 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Yes, I too think your hair is a success.

11:18 PM  
Blogger kate said...

It sounds ... and looks ... as if you all had a wonderful time together. The pictures were fun to see - getting a sense of your family.

Your hair looks great - no one would know you recently celebrated your 65th birthday!!

11:55 PM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

Pam, you are a site to behold. Truly a stunning woman. Must be all those orgasmics...err... organics in your life.

12:28 AM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

You look absolutely beautiful. I would never ever guess you just celebrated your 65th birthday. Your family is lovely and of course, I adore the kitties.

Great big hugs,
Laurie

10:58 AM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Oh, Pam! You are soooo beautiful! I'm glad you had a happy birthday. (August is a good month for birthdays. My son and his wife and baby are all in August, as well as two of my other grandchildren, Bookworm and Starfish! Parties everywhere! Hurrah!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

You look so great, in fact, that I think I just might start doing my hair again....

9:20 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Cathy, so much to be grateful for, indeed. And I'm getting used to the highlights, yup, good job, Deb.

Bonita, they certainly are the A-Team, no doubt about it!

Tammy, there is one with some teeth, will send it to you soon. Love you!

Ginnie, my family has blessed me with many wonderful memories.

Alyssa, I agree with you wholeheartedly, talking is great but the games are a hoot! Enjoy your party.

Chani and AC, thanks so much, I've gotten to like it too.

Kate, it's always fun when someone doesn't think we look our age, THANKS!

Mama P, thank you! I'll take both O's if you don't mind!

Laurie, thank you, too, you are very kind. We all love the kitties and everyone has one, in this case, two.

Pepek, hooha for the August parties, rock on! And thanks for the compliment, are you going to be brave and do it too?

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see you as an artist of memories painting landscapes of life which will are tucked away in the minds and hearts of those you love.

Thank you for sharing you life and loves.

Sandra

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home