Friday, September 28, 2007

Politics, Survival and Exploding Eggs

In the past I have posted satirical poems and pictures expressing my viewpoints on our current president and the politics of the day. And Bush's recent veto on a $12 billion bill for children's healthcare because we "can't afford it" while at the same time asking for $195 billion for the war in Iraq had me spinning in the Batchair.

Under the current regime our country has amassed a debt that my great-grandchildren won't be able to pay off, our dollar is falling, our soldiers are falling, health care is a mess, education is struggling and our country is losing respect around the world.

My illness dictates that I avoid stress, it has a very negative effect on my condition, but how does one do that, especially in the current atmosphere? The answer is we can't, not unless we choose to remain ignorant of the world around us, and that is not an option. And, in the real world, there is always conflict and adversity. From the small day-to-day glitches to the war in Iraq to global warming, to live on planet Earth is to be involved.

So how do we survive? By being involved and doing what we can when we can. By taking good care of ourselves and caring for others. By living life to its fullest, keeping in mind that our time here is short and it is our one chance, and by always keeping our sense of humor.

Which brings me to... Willie's eggs. A few nights ago my husband was boiling eggs for his lunch the next day. He set them to cooking then came in to join me for the evening news. Since he'd had a long day, it wasn't long before he fell into a light sleep, the eggs forgotten by us both.

I was engrossed in the news until I heard a strange popping sound in the kitchen. Figuring it was our cat, I gave it little attention. A few minutes later there was an explosion that brought my husband straight up out of his chair and into a full run. There was a moment of silence as he entered the kitchen and then I heard him burst into gales of laughter. The water in the pot had boiled dry and the eggs had exploded, covering, from what I could discern between bouts of hilarity, a substantial area, including the ceiling. This is the kind of thing that usually ticks my husband off and sets me into fits of giggles. I was happy that, this time, he could see the humor in the situation and let the stress of the day evaporate with his laughter.


12 Comments:

Blogger KGMom said...

Pam--now you have a new expression--just don't burst any eggs over it.
As for avoiding stress, you will have to turn off the news altogether. Every day there is yet another example of the current administration's incompetence. 'Nuff said.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That bill was just discussed on Oprah the other day. Well it came up as part of the health care (Sicko) debate. The representative of the insurance companies asked people to call in and lobby for the bill.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Oh, this happened to me once. I put eggs on to boil, forgot about them totally, took my little boys out to have their pictures taken (we walked, of course, strolled along home). And when we got there, the eggs had EXPLODED everywhere, all over the walls, the cupboards, the ceilin....fortunately, I had a good neighbor who came in and helped me scrub everything. One time when I was cooking chili in the pressure cooker, the little rubber pressure controller fell into the cooker, I only had time to grab my little boy, and we watched from the back porch window as the thing went off, chili whooshing out of the hole like Old Faithful going off, and condensing all over the ceiling to fall back as red rain....it's funnier now than it was then.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

PS And there was the time we made homemade root beer, put it in the bottles and capped it, then went to church. When we got home, the bottles had all gone off like rocket ships, leaving only little round glass bottoms on the table.

All three of these would have been exciting to have witnessed (well, I did see the chili go off like a geyser).

10:02 PM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

I haven't figured out how to remain entirely unattached to all of it.. but the only thing that keeps me sane is that 1) I know I'll be going to Thailand and 2) all of this stuff went on long before I ever came to this planet.. and will go on long after I'm gone.

I have no illusions that I have any power to change it. It will evolve as it evolves.


Peace,

~Chani
http://thailandgal.blogspot.com

6:11 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Is there such a thing as a class action lawsuit against the government? Who lets people get away with all this? Well, I do believe humor is a good thing, and your photo just proves it. Now, I'll stop my complaining.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

I am happy you posted this. Unfortuantely, I'm more ignorant than I care to admit about politics. And it's not right. Because like you say, knowledge is power and we must do our part.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

You are so right, Pam. I hold to the hope that the pendulum will swing the other way after our next election....but just pray that it isn't too late. G.Dubya may have regressed our nation beyond repair.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

It's eight-thirty in the morning here, that means it's ten=thirty there! I just feel all giggly inside, all carbonated and bubbly, (and I haven't even had breakfast!) just thinking about you guys!

Oh, hug each other tight, love each other, and have a terrific day! I love you both, and will be thinking about you....

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"So how do we survive? By being involved and doing what we can when we can. By taking good care of ourselves and caring for others. By living life to its fullest, keeping in mind that our time here is short and it is our one chance, and by always keeping our sense of humor."

Wonderful advice - and I loved the story about the exploding eggs!

Wishing you health & joy!

Warmly,
Baraka
www.rickshawdiaries.wordpress.com

1:41 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Keeping one's sense of humour despite what is going on in the world is so necessary. We need to be aware and do what we can - not always easy, but definitely worth it.

The exploding egg story was a wonderful one ...

For the first time since I was a child, our dollar was worth more than the US one. That is just stunning to me.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

There are days this Administration makes me feel like the minute before your eggs let loose. Well not really. But I do have to turn off the news and avoid some of my newsletters e.g. Truthout. It will take years to restore the damages to our country but we are resilient people and we will recover.

Your attitude is encouraging. Thank you.

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home