Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Friends, Old and New



It's been a little over a year since I started blogging and in that time you have read quite a bit about my family and friends, all the people I love and who support me in my battle against ALS. This post is about one of my oldest friends and my newest friend.

I met Lolly almost 28 years ago and we took to each other instantly. On the surface it would seem that we have nothing in common. She is soft-spoken and quietly passionate, I tend to be very animated and overly exuberant about my passions. She doesn't like to drive; I used to travel all over the place alone, including cross-country. She's not nuts about outdoor sports, I love them. There are these outward differences but fundamentally, where it counts, we are very much alike and she is my soul mate.

We are both artist's, not just because of what we create but also because of how we see the world. We are oversensitive to everything around us and care deeply about the human condition. We share a sense of humor, a fondness for the same kinds of movies and music and a burning passion for the beauty of nature. We can talk endlessly or sit in comfortable silence, happy in each other's company.

Barbara came into my life towards the end of summer and is my caregiver. She is also a friend. I can do very little on my own and she tends to my needs with compassion and caring, never making me feel like less because of my illness. As important as that is, it's not why she means so much to me. What counts the most is the person that she is, a warm, exuberant woman with a heart as big as her enthusiasm for life.

She enters my house every morning with a positive attitude and a sense of humor to equal my own. We share a zest for living and the inane, and often find ourselves overcome with laughter, tears streaming down our faces.

Every day these women are a part of my life, helping me to stay balanced, helping me to fight my disease, holding me up when it all seems like too much and listening when I need to talk.

I cherish the constant presence of Lolly in my life, my dear old friend, and welcome Barbara’s, my dear new one.






13 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Pam, you are truly blessed. Life can be lonely. Caring and laughter - the touch of a friend - these are the gifts that make life sweet. This is a lovely tribute to friendship and to your precious friends - Lolly and Barbara.

7:48 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

You are a beautiful person and you deserve the wonderful friends you have.

Love,
Laurie

11:07 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I imagine that they think they're the winners in these relationships. I would agree with them. You are a brick.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I'm certain that your caregivers receive as much from you as you do from them. These relationships are divine, that is, spiritually blessed.

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good friends make this world a better, softer place.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Endment said...

Nothing is more valuable than friends!
Each of you is very blessed

11:12 PM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

Pam, you give more than you'll ever know. You are a treasure.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

Oh, and looooove the Friends graphic. Truly magical.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

I've given you a Lion's roar on my page! Come see.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Bitterroot said...

Friendship is one of the greatest blessings life has to offer. Thank you for sharing your own experience with us.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

When I read your blog I know I will always come away inspired by your very positive outlook on life.
Friends are people we sometimes take for granted and you've shown how dear they really are. My friends make me happy even when I am not with them.

3:33 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Cathy -- you are so right about the touch of a friend, sometimes it really does carry you through.

Laurie -- thank you, I hope they know how much I appreciate them.

AC -- in a deep and lasting friendship, everyone wins don't they? Thank you very much.

Bonita -- we are spiritualy blessed , you are right.

Coll -- "A softer place" yes, I like that.

Endment -- yes, oh yes.Especially when your daughters are your friends, too.

Mama P. -- Thank you so much and I'm glad you liked the graphics, I thought they were pretty cool, and fun, too.

Joyce -- Wow, thank you .

Bitterroot -- my friends honor me with their presence in my life, it is a joy to share them.

Alyssa -- that's the thing about friends, they don't always have to be with you for you to know that they are there.

7:25 AM  
Blogger joared said...

I can only wish that all individuals coping with ALS could have a Lolly and a Barbara and for the mostly men with whom I've had contact, Jim and Bills with the qualities you describe your caregivers having.

I also wish more ALS patients had computer skills such as you exhibit, or had access to some of the special tech tools that would enable their independent blogging, or blogging with the help of another.

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home