Monday, May 26, 2008

Quilts of Love

My sister, besides being the wonderful person that she is, is also an artist with material. She is a quilter of extraordinary talents and has her own, successful business. On one of her earlier visits she told my granddaughters that she wanted to make each of them a quilt, patterns and materials of their choosing, and that she wanted to include a poem from me on the back of each one.

Last week she came for another of her much-anticipated visits, finished quilts in hand. On Saturday my daughters and granddaughters came over to visit with us and the presentation was made, to the delight of us all. Paige and Sarah were thrilled with their creations and moved by the love put into every stitch by their aunt Lynn. The poems from me, stitched into flowers on the back, made them all that more personal. The quilts are heirlooms of a very special nature and they will cherish them always.




The pomes are hidden in flowers that tie together, a most original and beautiful idea.


Here we all are, celebrating the joy of family.


Ta--da! The quilts. I forgot to mention that both quilts also have a picture of my granddaughters and me sewn in. Paige's is on the front in the center and Sarah's is on the back sewn into a flower. Paige's quilt has one added feature... she wrote four poems, one each about Earth, Wind, Water and Fire; they are incorporated into her design in the center of blocks of representative colors. There is an arrow pointing to one.
And last, the poems.


My Dear Paige (a.k.a. Doodlebug),

You are a child of deep thought
Of quiet reason
You're imagination is boundless

You have a kind nature
And you warm my heart
With your sweet presence

Time spent with you
Is a joy and a gift
And I am blessed with treasured memories

We are connected by love
We are part of one another
And I will be there with you always

You will forever be my favorite author,

Mimi



My Dear Sarah (a.k.a. Shortcake),

You are a child of energy and light
Of love and kindness
You have warmed my world with your presence

Your bright intelligence
And creative mind
Capture my imagination

My incredible granddaughter
You are a part of me
My love for you knows no bounds

The times that we share
Give my life purpose and meaning
You will always be

My Boom Companion

I will be with you always,

Mimi

12 Comments:

Blogger Bitterroot said...

What an incredible gift! These quilts are truly wonderful.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Your sister and you make an awesome team. What precious gifts! Your poetry was beautiful.

I love you,
Robin

3:13 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Quilts are wonderful, but with your poetry included, they are marvellous.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Oh, Pam, this was almost too beautiful to see and read. Your sister and her quilts are outstanding, as is your poetry....
and your grandaughters are so sweet.
Thanks so much for sharing this and for just being you.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

These really are incredible. What a great idea, and what unique and meaningful gifts! Treasures!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Love the pictures, too!

1:28 PM  
Blogger joared said...

What lovely quilts ..... delightful poetry ..... such a unique and special gift idea. What a lot of love shared in your family.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

Those are great pictures and beautiful quilts.

1:49 AM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

I'm all choked up. How incredibly beautiful.

1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a lovely gift.. so filled with love and family.

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can think of no more beautiful, personal gift. The visual beauty touch the mind and heart - the family photos and your poetry move the experience into a timeless testimony to your family's shared love.

Simply - a treasure.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Crayons said...

Hi Pam,
I've been away from the Internet for a week or two, so I'm just catching up. This story about your sister really touched me. You must come from an incredible family, based on the quality of you two. The photos of the quilts focused my attention on life. That's how I feel when you send me a comment on Crayons.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home