Saturday, February 17, 2007

Hermit Island II


Back to Hermit and my husband working on getting my para foil aloft. I love kites and took one with us every trip.



A photo of one of the larger beaches on the island the day after we were hit by the tail end of a hurricane with winds up to 50 mph. It was an experience of a lifetime. We tied our tent and tarp down to every available tree and tent peg and still we had to fight to keep it from being taken away. Food boxes were stacked, duct taped, and weighted down with rocks, trenches were dug for the rushing water, and the tent heater was fired up so that we could dry cloths and warm up between rounds.

I admit that there were some frightening moments, but all in all it was the most exceptional adventure! That night, as we lay in our tent listening to the howling wind and watching as it pushed our tent down almost on top of us, my husband and I congratulated each other on a job well done. The next day, after cleaning up the debris around our site, we took a ride around the island to see how many others had stuck it out. We counted 4 tents.




My favorite of the smaller beaches on the island about 5 hours before the hurricane hit. Hermit Island rocks!


8 Comments:

Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I never had much luck with kites but my heart is filled with love watching you! Your bravery and adventurous spirit is a common theme in your life!

2:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm behind on your posts! I had to look this island up on our atlas. What a find! All of the photos are beautiful, but I especially like the one of you kayaking.

Your description of the hurricane -- or tail of a hurricane - left me with sweaty palms. Good teamwork.

6:57 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

You are one adventuresome woman! Ocean kayaking! Pitching a tent and camping DURING a hurricane! And loving it? WOW
Bless you!

11:19 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That sounds like quite an adventure. Storms can be intense in tents. :)

9:43 AM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

My son and I stuck out a pretty destructive windstorm in our tent back in the late 90's, but I can't imagine the type of storm you are talking about. What a great story!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Endment said...

What an adventure!!! in a tent no less...
I have been through a tornado but never a hurricane... just reading your description sets my feet to tingling - ready to run

8:22 AM  
Blogger Bitterroot said...

Pam, your descriptions are splendid and the pictures spectacular. Thank you for providing a glimpse into your adventures on Hermit Island. Posting adventures on a blog this way is such a great way to relive those special moments.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Wow, Pam...you are lucky that you made it through alive. I only had one Hurrican experience and never hope to have another.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home