Thursday, February 15, 2007

Hermit Island

A pictorial about my favorite vacation spot, Hermit Island, off the coast of Maine. My husband and I traveled there for six years to spend the first week of September, after the holiday when there were fewer people, camping, fishing, kayaking and relaxing. We played Boccie Ball, read, gathered muscles for dinner, talked about many things and reveled in the sounds of crashing waves and screeching gulls. How I love the ocean.
Here I am returning to one of the small, hidden beaches from an ocean kayak. Getting out to where the waves rocked and rolled was an adventure and a thrill.

There were a couple of larger beaches and a network of small, almost private beaches that became our sanctuary. We walked along the waves and climed over craggy rocks exploring and searching for shells and sand dollars.


Watch for "Hermit Island II"!

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

September's a good time. School's in and the weather's still nice.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

"Hermit Island" sounds very appealing. I was talking to my 80 yr old sister today (who lives in Hyannis, Cape Cod) and we may plan a trip north in the Spring. Maybe we'll check it out...or even maybe come your way !

7:41 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Look at you stud woman! It's a beautiful place and I can't wait until Sept comes for another look!
XXOO

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks really nice. I live in New England and have thought about going to Monhegan Island. Have you been there?

11:19 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

I read your Hermit Island post last night, and returned again this morning to re-read. I love the opening photo--almost looks out of this world.
Isn't it wonderful that with memory and photography, we can visit special places again and again.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Endment said...

I would love to ask a dozen or more questions about your time at "Hermit Island" We love the coast of Maine --- I long to hear all the little details :)

4:42 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Pam, I am a dyed in the wool Midwesterner, but my neighbor and I both go to New England whenever possible and frequently bemoan the fact that we have no good excuse to become New Englanders.

A few years ago my family went to Deer Island, btwn New Brunswick and Maine (in the Bay of Fundy,) where we watched porpoises frolicking in the vortex created by the tide. VERY COOL. And walked on the beach at dusk watching the harbor seals poking their heads out of the water. There's nothing like that in Wisconsin!

And I KNOW the blizzard was destructive, but oh, to have that much snow.

Lovely photos.

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love Hermit Island. If anyone has any questions on Hermit Island, you can e-mail me at PESacco@masconomet.org.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home