Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The First Weekend of Hunting Season


Introducing the hunting widows,
clockwise from bottom left: Kathy, Kathy,
Joanne, Carol, Mary and Susan.
You know the gal in the middle...



...And my new friend and caregiver, Barbara (I had to
wait until I had a picture she approved of!)
That's Susan peeking out from behind.

Once again it's hunting season in Vermont. On Friday night the men headed to hunting camp for a night of camaraderie before the opening of the season on Saturday morning and, as we always do, the hunting widows got together for an evening of the same. Since we are all very busy with home, family, grandchildren, and jobs, we don't always have the opportunity to get together in a group as often as we would like and this was a chance to catch up. My home was filled with the warmth of good friends, great conversation and the ring of laughter.

My caregiver, Barbara, joined us this year and was a wonderful addition to the festivities, adding her humor and spark to the mix. She spent the night with me and my kayaking buddies, Susan and Kathy, came back the next morning and joined us for breakfast. Thanks to Kathy we were treated to raisin, cinnamon French toast with Vermont syrup, a favorite. Following breakfast we went for a walk in the crisp morning air before they had to head home.

Saturday afternoon my daughters and granddaughters came to spend the afternoon, night and following morning with me and we spent our time going through all my old photographs, watching my home movies from the years when I took care of my grandchildren and playing Scrabble. Sunday morning my daughters touched up my highlights, straightened up the house and got me dressed. My granddaughters took on a job started by my friend Lolly and finished printing the pages of my blog, putting them in plastic sleeves and into the half filled notebook. My granddaughter, Paige, designed my cover, but that's another story.

Sunday afternoon my husband's daughter, Angela, came over to keep me company. We chatted and watched a movie while we waited for her father to come home and he and I were treated to a delicious meal of enchiladas that she had made and brought with her.

It was a wonderful, WONDERFUL weekend and I want to say thank you to family and friends!

Tomorrow I head to Dartmouth Hitchcock Hospital for an ALS clinic. My breathing and overall progression will be tested and any problems I'm having will be addressed. Although I have good doctors and I like them, I'm not particularly fond of clinic and grateful that my daughters and Barbara will be along for support.




14 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Passed two on the roadside today in rural Ontario: with rifles and orange vests and caps.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I LOVE what you did to that picture of the assembled hunting widows. The energy coming out of there is terrific.

Pam, I just love your smile. I know it isn't always easy to smile. And I imagine those people at the clinic smile when they see you and your loved-ones coming through the door.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Bitterroot said...

Glad you had such a fine time with friends and family, Pam! And I hope your day at clinic went well. I know a doctor's visit can sometimes be a rather grim prospect.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

My goodness there is such a dynamic swirl of energy here. It almost leaves me breathless and giddy! What good fortune you have, Pam, with so many dear people who provide love and support. And that clinic...well, you can always 'people-watch'.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't get me wrong.. I love men.. but to have so many wonderful women in your life is a true blessing. :-)

Good luck at the clinic. I hope all goes well.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

There's nothing quite like a weekend with the girls!! I never valued their company until I got sober and realized all I'd missed. So glad you had a good time, Pam.
What a nice group of friends and family.

8:32 PM  
Blogger kate said...

It's heartwarming to see all your friends surrounding you. That is a wonderful photograph.

It sounds as if the weekend was a wonderful friend and family-filled one.

How did the hunting go?

Happy weekend to you...

5:37 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

You can tell those hunters to stop by our place--what with the deer in the backyard and all.
Good luck at the clinic.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

You guys look as if you are at the center of an energy vortex ready to blast off into another dimension. I read somewhere that if we could travel near the speed of light, the stars would look like spaghetti strings across the sky--sort of like this!I believe it said the stars would appear to be rainbows of light around our heads...just like here!

Going to the doctor always raises my blood pressure and makes my ears ring.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

"My home was filled with the warmth of good friends, great conversation and the ring of laughter." This is why I love you. I JUST wrote a post regarding the same sort of thing I love. Kindred spirits I think. And I like you as a blond with highlites. Very becoming.

4:39 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

What wonderful photos dear girl. As Cathy said, you have a most wonderful smile. I wish you great luck at your clinic. I'm so glad you will have your family there for support.

Hugs,
Laurie

12:19 AM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Your weekend sounds so great. There is nothing like being with women friends and family! The connections are like invisible silver threads that join all of us. I'm a hunting widow for two weeks, but that's OK since Steve and I are together 24 hours a day the rest of the year. My week has been quiet and busy all at the same time. I'm happy that you could bond with your friends and enjoy the outdoors before the snow starts to fly. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and keep finding the positive!

12:37 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

AC, there seems to be a smaller number of men in their orange this year. Good news for the deer even though I enjoy venison.

Cathy, I rather like that effect too, showing our energy was my goal!

Bitterroot, clinic is done, whew, and I'll be posting about it. Thank you for your good wishes.

Bonita, it's all that good energy that helps keep me going.

Coll, I here you!

Ginnie, time spent with girlfriends is always special and fulfilling, especially when two of them are daughters.

Kate, no deer yet, but the photo is going on my mantle!

Kgmom, we only see the deer in our yard once in a while, their habitat here is still pretty healthy.

Joyce, this picture is as close to the speed of light as I'm going to get, but it will do. My ears ring all the time, but get decidedly louder when I go to clinic! =)

Mama P., kindred spirits indeed, I love you, too. As for the blonde highlights, my kids insist that they give me a lift. They make me feel very brave!

Laurie, thank you very much. I'll be giving everyone the skinny on clinic next post.

Alyssa, the women of my family and girlfriends, yup, it's the best.

My husband used to go to hunting camp for two weeks, too, and I always enjoyed having the house to myself. Homecomings weren't too shabby either.

6:46 AM  
Blogger julia said...

Isn't it wonderful when the women gather together? Such energy and dynamism!
I wish you well at the clinic today

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home