Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Ms. Hattie


My Siamese cat, Hattie, deserves a mention on my blog since she is so very dear to me and is a unique character in her own right. She is a petite, 71/2-pound seal point with a very light chest and dark caboose and will be turning 18 this spring. Amazingly, she doesn't look like she's aged a day since she reached maturity. She is still quite spry and takes pleasure in chasing a crumpled piece of paper around the house, occasionally overshooting and going into a tuck and roll. Her passion for hunting has dimmed, however, much to my husband's and my relief, as she was a most accomplished hunter.

She is quite sociable and when she wants your attention, will climb upon the arm of the chair you are sitting in and stare deeply into your eyes, daring you to ignore her. If you do, she will reach out with a paw and tap you on the arm in order to get the attention she feels she deserves and if you ignore her still, she will unsheathe her claws just enough to make her point. Tucked in beside you or on your lap is the final objective.

Last week my husband bought her the first pouch of catnip she'd had in quite some time and we were very curious to see what our old girl would do it. While we watched, she bit it, rolled it around and did the usual rubbing up against and sliding over it that most cats do. She then did something I've never seen a cat do before. After staring it down for a minute or two, she walked over to it and sat on it as if she were staking a claim. Since that first encounter she has chosen to use it as a rest for her front paws or to sleep on. It seems that, in her dotage, she is a rather passive cat when she's wrecked.

Sadly, I have no pictures of her antics to share with you since my digital camera is kaput. I am hoping to find someone who can repair it before Christmas
!

15 Comments:

Blogger Crayons said...

I have a crush on Ms. Hattie. Your descriptions of her attention-getting techniques are adorable. Tarzan ran away right after we moved to Madison. I grieve his absence every day. Cat's are bundles of joy. Uhm, most of the time.

9:46 AM  
Blogger kate smudges said...

Hattie is a beautiful cat and sounds as if she still is spry despite her age. It must have been hilarious watching her with the catnip - I miss Hazel, my cat who died last year at age 17. She's very much missed ... like Hattie, her hunting abilities were stellar.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

I feel good that you have Ms. Hattie to entertain and delight you. She must be a great comfort and aren't you glad that Caroline (post "Potato Prints" and now "Crayons") is back blogging?

4:01 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

They do have a way of asking for attention ... and getting it.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

I love cats. Too bad so many people in my household are allergic to cats. Hattie seems to be a wonderful friend.

But we have dogs. Jacob (our 4-yr-old) and his mom were conversing night before last. She said something about him not going to school, and he said, "So, what should I do then, hang out with the dogs???"

7:57 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

We love our cats too, Mordred and Pandora. They love to mash my catnip in the backyard, so I have to wire it carefully, to keep them out.

My boys love to wave a lazer beam around the floor. The cats love to chase it, and we are all greatly amused. Poor things, they get dizzy and topple over.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

What a beautiful cat Ms. Hattie is. All cats are lovely, but Siamese are exceptionally so. They are very sociable. We had one for a number of years and she always talked so much. It's great - your post has brought back such nice memories of her.

Animals are such special beings and fill our lives with friendship and love.

3:35 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Oh Caroline, I am so sorry to hear about your Tarzan. He was the dude that knocked your glasses out the window, right? They get to be such great friends, it hurts terribly when they're gone.

Kate, sorry to hear about Hazel, it's so hard when they leave us. Especially when they've been good enough to hang around for so many years.

Ginnie, my Hattie is wonderful company, she adds warmth and laughter to every day.

I am thrilled to see Caroline back with us, I missed her posts and drawings very, very much!

AC, too true!

Joyce, dogs are cool too, although I am more of a cat person. You're Jacob made me laugh.

Bonita, I absolutely love the names of your cats, they're terrific. My daughter and her husband do the laser beam thing to their cat, too, it's funny to watch.

Alyssa, you are right about Siamese cats, they like to discuss things with you, are very sociable and quite intelligent. Hattie will sit with me, nose to nose, and chat.

6:22 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Hattie is a lovely kitty. I have never had a seal point (I always have DSH garden variety kitties). But--I love them all. And it looks like Hattie is much loved too--and she returns the love to you!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Simply Coll said...

Hattie sounds like such a love. 18.. my goodness.

11:00 AM  
Blogger joared said...

Reading about your cat almost makes me think I should get a pet again. Had a cat for some fifteen good years, then a dog again, but now I'm alone with pet memories. Your cat seems quite special.

12:57 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Kgmom, she is not a papered kitty, nothing fancy, but as sweet as they come.

Coll, yeah, 18... she amazes us. Except for the hunting thing, she's the same as she has always been. She even chased an old Tom out of the yard this summer.

Joared, they say having a pet around is good for your emotional and physical health... I'm inclined to agree.

5:40 AM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

he is quite sociable and "When she wants your attention, will climb upon the arm of the chair you are sitting in and stare deeply into your eyes, daring you to ignore her. If you do, she will reach out with a paw and tap you on the arm in order to get the attention she feels she deserves" Ms. Hattie and myself... so much alike!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Yes, Pam, but ... Can she play the piano???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0zgQAp7EYw

7:18 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Mama P., oh, then you must purr ALL the time!

Suzy, nope, but she can open every door in the house!

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home