Thursday, June 12, 2008

Sculpting With Paper

Before ALS invaded my hands and fingers I had discovered the most extraordinary art form... paper sculpture. Since I was unable to master sculpting in it's more well-known forms, having a way to work three dimensionally was exhilarating. I purchased all kinds of interesting papers, from handmade to commercial (even making some of my own) in a rainbow of colors and subtle patterns. I had paper made from barks, cloth and a variety of unusual fibers.

I started out by making flowers then moved on to more complex subjects. I sculpted animals, people and scenes. One of my favorites is owned by my daughter, a three-dimensional scene of a sea serpent rearing up out of a stormy sea. I drew and painted the serpent, then reproduced it a number of times so that I could carefully cut a number of pieces to round out the layers and make it look like it was coming out of the frame. And, of course, layers and layers of rearing waves with white foaming peaks.

The more sculpting I did, the more I realized that with a little imagination there wasn't much I couldn't do with my papers, scissors and glue. Below are a couple of the pieces I did early on. The first is a collection of paper flowers on an ostrich egg and paper stand, the second is paper flowers glued to an interesting piece of driftwood that hangs on my dining room wall.

BTW, my dining room wall is NOT bright orange, I changed the picture for effect. =)









13 Comments:

Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

That's with paper? WOW I'd love to see that serpent! You are very creative...still.

I love you!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That's amazing work by an amazing lady. You definitely have the artistic gene that I lack.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

I've always wanted to do that, but doubt if I could ever accomplish anything that finely tuned. What a wonderful imagination and talent you've had ... and thank you for sharing it with us.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

These are lovely! I was about to recommend you go see petercallesen.com, but upon checking back, I see you are already very familiar with him. Very nice work!

I love working with clay--I love the smell of it, the feel of it in my fingers...I'm not very good at making sculptures, and haven't done any for a long time, nevertheless....

3:30 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Oh, and I was going to mention than my Japanese daughter-in-law does really nice oregami (taught by her grandmother). SHe uses fun papers to make them.

3:34 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Pam--gorgeous, just GORGEOUS.

10:01 AM  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

Those are so beautiful. So detailed and perfect.

7:51 AM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

Holy hannah, you are so very gifted!!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Those are beautiful. I agree that they don't look at all like paper. Very pretty and must have taken you a really long time. I wouldn't have the patience to keep cutting tiny petals. Lovely!

11:03 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Oh! How very pretty. I'm so glad you're sharing your creations. More, please :0)

7:28 PM  
Blogger joared said...

Those are lovely, Pam! I, too, would love to see a picture of your sea serpent and the ocean waves. Thanks for sharing some of your work. Hope to see whatever more you have.

Pam (Barton - Hawaiian artist) is also my sister-in-law's name and she has been working primarily in fiber for some years now. She's made a lot of her own paper from all sorts of fiber. Wonder if you kept paper-making concoctions in your refrig. as my brother used to jokingly sputter about her doing, lest he accidentally try to eat it.

I have a volcanic rock which has been a popular item she made. A few years ago her creation of a now extinct Hawaiian bird was chosen to represent the State for the White House Christmas tree. She's been dedicated to preserving the Hawaiian culture and teaching classes.

I'm sure you must have mixed feelings of pride and frustration that you are unable to exercise your creative juices with what I expect is a head full of creative ideas. Continue creating with your mind through your words I enjoy reading.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Crayons said...

I subscribe to your view that paper, glue, and scissors provide myriad possibilities for creation. I'm low-tech in that way. I love these objects. Thanks for posting.

PS: I was going to comment on your hilarious Noah vs. U.S. Government post. But it brought out the cynic in me, so I abstained.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Pam, your sculptures are lovely!

I had a first grade student 2 years ago, who was amazing with paper. During a free play time she would sit down with plain white paper and a roll of tape, and construct castles, dragons, jungles ... she was so creative.

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home