Monday, February 19, 2007

Red Hat Party


My husband Will's Aunt Skip turned 8o two years ago, December. We knew she would not be surprised by a party if we threw it at the appropriate time and we definitely wanted to knock her socks off. After much deliberation we decided to have it the preceding August at our camp.
A BBQ was planned and friends and family were all invited.

Aunt Skip is a member of the Red Hat Society, a club that brings retired women together for luncheons, visits to museums and the like, and the only requirement is that they wear a red hat and something purple whenever they get together. It seemed fitting to make the red hat a theme for our party and everyone invited had to wear one.

We congregated at camp a few hours before Aunt Skip was due to arrive, stacking presents, firing up the barby, soaking corn on the cob, putting beer and soda on ice and preparing for the presentation of the welcoming "unbirthday" banner.


Our plans were a marvelous success and dear Aunt Sip was totally flabbergasted! The look of complete astonishment on her face as her son Mike walked her into camp continues to make me smile. We bought her a red hat, I made paper flowers for decoration and we presented it to her in keeping with the dress code.

A few red hats up close...



...and everyone assembled for a photo op in front of camp. The party was a huge success and guests gathered around the campfire after dinner to linger long into the night. I see them now, in my minds eye, sitting together near the blazing fire, and I hear voices and laughter echoing across the Black River Valley.

9 Comments:

Blogger dmmgmfm said...

What a wonderful story! I almost feel as if I were there and the photos added a lot to it too. It looks as if a good time was had by all.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I didn't know about the purple to go with the hats. Great stuff.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Endment said...

Delightful story
We have a redhat group near here but I am not dignified enough for the group :)

11:42 AM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I've always wondered what was up with the red hats ;) What a nice surprise and Skip is lovely!

3:24 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

What a nice way to celebrate a birthday, and to surprise an aunt. We, too, have Red Hat ladies in this area. They always look like they are having a grand time.

12:50 PM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

Loved the photos. :) I've heard of the Red Hat Society. They do seem to have a good time together.

Reminds me of another group called "The Raging Grannies".


Peace,

~Chani

1:28 PM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

And my invitation was where? Ahem....

11:33 PM  
Blogger Bitterroot said...

Wonderful vignette. Families who have an Aunt Skip are very lucky.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Julie Kertesz - me - moi - jk said...

cute idea!

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home