Monday, May 14, 2007

Just Right


I have been using a lift chair for almost a year to make it possible for me to stand and move to my power chair without assistance. The chair I have been using was lent to me by the very generous mother of a friend. I am eternally grateful since working with our insurance company and the MDA/ALS association to get one of my own has been a slow and tedious process.

The problem, besides waiting, is that said chair is very old and rather uncomfortable and with the discomforts of ALS, this was becoming an issue. Then something totally unexpected happened, a chair was purchased for me by someone I hadn't had contact with for a very long time. Flabbergasted is the appropriate word for my reaction. And, of course, thankful beyond words.

I am now sitting in a top of the line lift chair that vibrates and heats, and the back rest and foot rest move independently from one another so there are infinite positions to help keep muscles from cramping and skin from getting sore.

What keeps running through my mind is this...

The first chair was tooooo hard,
the second chair was tooooo soft,
but this one is juuust right!"

Sure, I'm way too old to be Goldilocks, but if the chair fits...




12 Comments:

Blogger Cuppa said...

If the third chair makes life more Bear-able then I would say you are not too old to be Goldilocks! Swish those curls girl and enjoy your chair.

Your posts lift my spirits and make me smile. Thank you Goldie!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I looked at your chair online and I'm in love with it! What a wonderful gift and generous spirit. I've seen the best in people in having als. XXOO

10:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I have to laugh at this little story. There is always a delightful take in all of our adjustments with aging and illness. Probably, one day they will improvise an 'extend a chair' with a special ladder to change the lightbulbs in our ceilings! Nothing will stop the innovator or the achiever!

11:01 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

What a wonderful thing to have someone buy you a chair like that! I would definitely say "enjoy it"! Vibrating and heating? Wowza!


Peace,

~Chani

12:11 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I would think that getting one that's "just right" would be extremely important.

1:33 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Thank goodness for benefactors--they do good things.
And one that vibrates and heats--woo hoo.

10:03 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Pam, we are forever young in spirit and so Goldilocks suits perfectly! The kindness of people never ceases to amaze me. I am so happy that you have a chair that is comfortable and has different settings. Dealing with insurance companies usually takes forever, so what a wonderful and thoughtful person to equip you with a chair.

Kate ox
p.s. I am adding your blog to my blog links.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

You are a marvel, Pam. Your spirit and humor lift my spirits every time I visit your blog.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Pam! That is the cutest narrative. It made me feel all comfy just imagining your moans of pleasure as you make friends with your new chair.

And the comments you inspire! How cute are your fellow-bloggers?

Blessings on your benefactor. You know don't you, that they are getting at least as much out of it as you. It's a blessing all around. Stay snuggly:0)

12:03 AM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

:D Woo Hoo! (But Batman fits you better than Goldie....)

12:50 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

PS And, God bless Whoever!

12:51 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

hey, I want a lift chair like yours, Pam! heheh. It wouldn't be so bad sitting in one that heats and vibrates. Ahhhhh.... I can just feel it now. Does it also have a "cooling" setting for those hot summer days?

I was going to say you are lucky to have such a generous friend ... but on second thought, it isn't just luck -- the love and compassion you give to others came back to you. You certainly deserve the most comfort possible.

Even so, what a cool and loving thoughtful person that was, who gave you the new chair!

hugs to you -- hope your day is a sweet one today.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home