Monday, April 23, 2007

Dabbling and Work


I enjoy working and have worked most of my life, admittedly not liking all jobs. Having left college after one year to marry a bad boy by way of running away from home (oy) my career as an artist was put on hold. The subsequent birth of my first daughter 14 months later and the birth of my second daughter 14 months after that, made up for the the bad boy but kept me too busy to concentrate on art.

In time, after said boy had had a few girlfriends, I smartened up and sent him packing. I was now alone with two small girls, no skills (art seldom pays the bills) and little knowledge of how to survive. Sans a career, I took on jobs and did everything from babysitting, to working key punch, to helping run a stable, to retail sales, to wood working, to...well, you get the idea.

To make ends meet I painted the occasional mural, sold the occasional painting, made signs and cut hair. Life moved on, jobs came and went and my beautiful daughters grew up to be amazing women.

Work still took up much of my life but I now had time to focus on the work I loved most, my art. My career began to take shape as my artwork was accepted in shows and I was commissioned for paintings and drawings. It was a quiet career but enormously satisfying since I am happiest and most fulfilled when I am creating.

With the onset of ALS everything changed and I was terribly lost. The obvious aside, I was devastated by what seemed to be the loss of my ability to express my artistic visions. My mind, filled with images, color, light and emotion with no way to express all I saw and felt, refused to accept this finality.

I had been trying to learn to use the computer as a new tool and aid and realized that I would now have to rely, totally, on this daunting technology (I am fairly new to the world of computers) if I wished to continue with my art. I have a lot to learn still, but am pleased with the results up to this point and am very happy that my "mind trips" were not forever silenced.

My dearest friend, Lolly, a fine artist in her own right, suggested that I take my computer dabbling and start a line of greeting cards. With her help with cutting and assembling, I am going to use my computer art to do just that. It will feel good to get back to work, giving my days direction and purpose.












15 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

They're very attractive! I'll be curious to know what you write on the inside of the cards.



Peace,

~Chani

10:07 AM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Oh Pam, what a wonderful idea. Lolly is a wonderful friend. That painting is fabulous and I learned a few things about you I didn't know. This post is very exciting and your poetry will be a wonderful addition ;) I'm brimming over with love and pride.

No one messes with Batman! XXOO

11:17 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

A poignant, inspirational story, Pam.
Having those wonderful daughters is what it's all about. Your art work is so lovely. I can hear sea gulls when I look at the billowing ocean cloud :0)

3:36 PM  
Blogger The Atavist said...

You are very talented. Good luck with this!

3:37 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's fun to do cards. In the past we put some of Cuppa's work on cards.

5:16 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

You go, Pam. I always enjoy your blog for the written content, and the huge plus is the art. Your art is sometimes inspiring, sometimes thoughtful, sometimes simply beautiful
You are an inspiration to us all--and here's hoping your card business takes off!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Pam, your cards are a delight and I hope you will merchandise them. Isn't this computer stuff and the blogging world a fascinating thing to be involved in? I love your spirit and the fact that you don't just lie back & let life overwhelm you...you are my hero.
I am in the process of putting some of my blogging vignettes into book form and will see where it takes me...so we'll have to keep in touch and watch what ensues.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

These are SO ABSOLUTELY COOL!

11:20 PM  
Blogger Bitterroot said...

These are so beautiful, Pam. Thank you for sharing your story with us. One of the great things about switching to a computer-based operation is that you can share your art with so many others! You have many admiring fans!

8:34 AM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

How beautiful. Will you sell them online? I would love to buy them. Please let me know.

Good luck in your new endeavor!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Pam - I saw that you dropped by my 'Yellow' post and just wanted to stop by and say 'Hi'. Also to give you a hug in addition to the smile you picked up over at 'Looking Up'. I'm still enjoying these beautiful creations in this post of yours:0)

9:39 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Pam, they are beautiful and unique. I spend a lot of time with children's literature, and find it interesting that more and more illustrators are working on the computer. Not everyone is Tasha Tudor at her big old dining room table, paintbox at her side. There's room for both!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

Pam - Can I PLEASE call you some day to do an interview on you and pitch you to some womens' magazine? I'd get paid, and you'd get exposure for your cards. Plus, some big exposure for ALS. Let me know! Andrea.paventi@gmail.com

2:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Atlas Shrugged...wow, I've never ran into anyone whose read it. I just found your blog and read your profile.

12:30 AM  
Blogger Cuppa said...

I love joining you for that magic carpet mind trip ride. Thanks for taking me along.

Your art is amazing, and the cards are beautiful. Will you do mail order business for all of us out in blogdom who would like to buy some?

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home