Monday, April 02, 2007

Night Sounds and Miracles





Two years ago this coming May, feeling out of alignment and not yet knowing what had been causing my various health problems, I decided on a sabbatical at camp. A week alone on the mountain, out in the woods commiserating with nature, was just what I needed.
In spite of the fact that it rained most of the week, I had a wonderful time. Walks in the woods, good books to read, music and a visit or two from friends, filled my days. At night, with a low fire to keep the damp at bay and my rocking chair pulled up close to the wood stove, I listened to the rhythm of rain on the roof. All was peace...except for one, frightening night.
This particular night, in addition to the rain, the wind howled as thunderstorms marched up the valley. Unconcerned, I fell asleep, only to be awaken by a terrible, resonating crash at two in the morning. I bolted out of bed, grabbed my flashlight and opened the door... to leaves and branches! Not wishing to wander about investigating in the dark of night with trees being blown down, I went back to bed. Sleep, however, eluded me.
In the morning I was greeted with an unbelievable sight. The large maple that had stood next to the cabana and fire pit had snapped at its base and now covered the better part of our yard. My car, our young, thriving beechnut trees, a stone marker and the sundial, all lost in leaves, had, miraculously, been spared. Camp was intact, as was the cabana which stood a mere twelve inches from the fallen trunk.
It took two hours with a hand saw to clear around camp and my car, but I had to wait for my husband to come with his chainsaw before the car could be moved. It amazes me still that no damage was done save the divots and gouges in the lawn.

7 Comments:

Blogger KGMom said...

Oh my, what a story. What a storm. And you survived it all!

Nothing nearly so graphic or frightening as yours, but I stood next to a tree from which a branch had fallen against our house. As my husband pulled the down branch away, there was a crack, and the rest of the tree went down, around me!

3:37 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Looks like a great spot. Wonderful schematic btw.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

It's amazing you were not hurt, or the lawn at least torn up. That was one huge tree. XXOO

9:06 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Holy Cow! That's just amazing! What a great schematic - it's a blinking miracle that that massive sky god didn't wreck a bit more havoc.

11:00 AM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

That is an amazing story! You tell it so well. I'm so thankful you weren't hurt.

Don't you just love the sound of rain on a roof?

11:15 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Thankfully you are still here to tell the tale! :)

1:31 AM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

Sounds like ALS was your maple tree and your husband your hacksaw in more ways than one. You are a rocking woman who will never be stuck in a rocking chair with that spirit.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home