Sunday, April 01, 2007

Cracking Eggs


Emily, our youngest granddaughter, is eight and big sister to her younger brother Ryan, who is 2 1/2. She's a terrific sister and spends much of her time at home playing with her brother and helping to keep him out of harms way.
She has many interests but her main claim to fame is that she is a wonderful cook. She cooks for her family quite often, everything from spaghetti and sauce with salad, to muffins. She tells me she'd like to be a professional chef when she grows up, and given her early capabilities, I believe it.
And she is the best egg cracker I have ever seen. In all the years I have been cooking and baking, I have never mastered the art of cracking an egg without mishap. Either egg runs down the outside of the bowel or egg shell has to be removed from the inside. Not our Emily, it's a clean, crisp break every time.
Emily, this one's for you.

11 Comments:

Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

LOL I never got that right either and now, ha! You go Emily :)

1:11 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Good for Emily. I hope she continues to follow the interest in cooking. There are some fun and very lucrative jobs out there for good Chefs.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I had to read the first sentence twice because I missed the "grand" part the first time through. :)

6:03 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

I bet you are a popular grandma--celebrating each of your grandkids' special gifts.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Lucky Ryan! My big sister just terrorized the rest of us and she still can't cook. Emily sounds like a very special young lady.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Good on ya, Emily! And you have such a fantastic grandma to cook for! My granddaughter is a pretty fair egg-cooker herself. WHen she comes over to spend the night, she always gets up early to fix scrambled eggs!
(But she is 10).

Way to go! Take good care of your grandma -- we love her, too!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

You got yourself a good egg there. Yolk intended.

12:52 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

Isn't it interesting how kids do usually show their natural talents rather quickly when they're allowed to do so?

:)


Peace,

~Chani

9:57 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

your grandkids are the luckiest, Pam! To have a talented granma like you -- I'm sure you are a wonderful role model for them and give them lots of good love. It's obvious how much you care about your family by the way you make these cool personal icons for them.

And yay for Emily -- you're on the way to becoming an excellent cook.

1:16 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

That is so cute! Can you send her over here to cook for us for awhile? :)

10:37 PM  
Blogger Bitterroot said...

Emily, could you just pop over to my house and teach me to crack eggs properly? When I was small, I HATED finding eggshells in the boiled egg my mom gave me every morning, and I would inspect each spoonful with an eagle eye to be sure there were no little crunchy objects in it. So as you can see, I have a great interest in properly cracked eggs and I am most impressed with your skill!

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home