Thursday, March 15, 2007

Rescue 911, the toy chicken and humor



I have been down with a stomach bug for the past couple of days and am, because of it, weaker than usual. This has made it a bit more difficult for me to move from my power chair to the lift chair I usually sit in unless I'm on the move or outside. I knew a little extra height would make it easier for me to vacate the power chair and decided that putting my 2 inch wheelchair pad on my power seat would be a good solution. In my efforts to make my situation easier, I lost my balance and fell down between my power chair and the dining room table.

Once I've fallen I'm down for the count, and, after catching my breath, I tried to reach for the cell phone I always carry with me in the lower basket of the chair. I couldn't seem to reach it and as I felt tears start to form and panic creeping in, I turned my head and found myself staring straight into the button eyes of the wind up, toy chicken my young grandson, Ryan, had left behind. Thanks to the efforts of my granddaughter, Sarah, the chicken had been sporting a cape and although it wasn't wearing tights, the humor was not lost on me.

I began to laugh, and with the laughter came a release from the building anxiety. I was able to relaxe some and managed to reach my phone. Since my husband hadn't reached work yet and my family were all still asleep, I called 911. As the paramedics entered the door, calling to see if I was OK, I informed them that I was lying on the floor next to a chicken and shouldn't be too difficult to find.

10 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I guess it's true that laughter is the best medicine. I'm glad that it worked for you in this case.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

I'm sorry, but that is hilarious. I hope you are okay? Talk about a big fowl up, no?

12:21 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Oh, Pam! I'a sorry, too, but I had to laugh! I'm so glad your cape and tights are intact!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

That's my girl! It's truly the only way to deal with a fall but the cape was too ironic. I know how sore you must be today so rest up. To the batcave Batman! Kappow!

Love you,
Robin

4:25 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Pam, it's all about perspective isn't it? Now you've got us all guiltily chuckling. I've got a friend in Wales who keeps falling down and like you she makes me smile. (Go to Heading Home on my sidebar if you like:0)

7:12 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Well, I have to start my comment as others did--oh, Pam. The great thing is that in the midst of your distress you were still observing, eye to eye with Super Chicken.
The gift of laughter is the best of all--and thank you for sharing it with us.

8:05 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

I hope you are alright, though I imagine you are. You are one tough chick, :-)

2:03 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

You are really amazing in the ways you adapt to your situation. We could all learn something from you. :)


Peace,

~Chani

12:58 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Oy, Pam. What a story. I'm glad you are OK. Your story made me dredge into the part of my brain that holds things like the theme song from Gilligan's Island, and -- thanks to the wonder of the Internets -- I was able to find this: http://www.digital-sledgehammer.com/superchicken/sounds/sctheme_full.wav

8:15 PM  
Blogger Cuppa said...

Giggle, chortle, guffaw! You've got a lot of pluck you tough old bird you.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home