Monday, February 26, 2007

Critters




Since I seem to be artistically blocked (it's cabin fever, for sure, a rural, end of winter malady) I thought I would continue with vignettes from my life in the Green Mountains of Vermont.

Living in the mountains, we are subject to many visitors of the four legged variety, even in town. The above, aged, Polaroid is of a little visitor who caught my husband and me quite by surprise, along with our dog and cat, one bright summer morning as I came into the kitchen for coffee. I found our dog, Shauna, and our cat, Hattie, sitting in front of our stove, dead still, staring, with all interest in morning chow abandoned.

We assumed, of course, that it was one of the many mice that find their way into our home and started moving the stove in an effort to flush it out. Imagine our surprise when, as the stove came away from the wall, a little masked face made a hesitant appearance. Our baby raccoon had come in through my studio, using the cat entrance in the screen door, and had found it's way into the kitchen.We put our animals in another room, moved the stove out another few feet and watched as the little guy made his way back out to my studio and out the door.

We've had baby raccoons stuck in our cellar while Shauna took it upon herself to chase Mom down the drive, skunks that have chased me back into the house in the morning as I was headed to my car to go to work, red tail hawks feasting on mourning doves on the lawn and the occasional white tail deer that comes through foraging for sweet grass and tender young leaves.

However, the most unusual visitor came last week in the evening as my daughter, Deb and granddaughter, Sarah were helping me bake cookies. Just as Debbie was opening the oven and the sweet smell of baking wafted into the kitchen, the outside door blew open and my husband's daughter, Angela and Hattie the cat literally shot into the room in equal states of agitation. It seems that there was a very large possum in the yard, and since Angela had never seen one (nor Hattie, they are almost nonexistent in this area) they were both sufficiently "freaked out" to consider a quick retreat the best course of action.

It ended up under our car and my husband had to prod it out with a pole in order to take Ms. Hattie to the vets.

8 Comments:

Blogger dmmgmfm said...

That has to be the cutest raccoon picture ever and I love the story.

It sounds like you live in a wonderful place, Pam.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

LOL A possum is a scary looking critter...big rat! Very cute raccoon but you being chased by a skunk made me roar. LOL

Love ya!

4:07 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

A nice blog and a nicely presented photo.

12:02 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Hi Pam -I'm so pleased to have found you through Laurie's comment section. I've not had the opportunity to peruse your blog in depth, but did chuckle with your latest post about critter incursions. I think I'm the only person I know who thinks possums are . . . well, if not cute - perhaps - sweet. I dunno. I came face to face with one on a winter night as the snow sifted around us. He was clinging to a pine bough with the dearest pink paws and we just blinked at each other as downy flakes fell and fell. It was one of those experiences that is written indelibly on my heart.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Endment said...

You have brought chuckles and smiles to my day with your tales of life in Vermont...

We have had a skunk visiting under a storage container for the past couple of days (nights) I hope he finds a new home very soon - before we have to find one for him.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Pam,
It's a wonderful image of a curious raccoon peeking at us. These are great stories. I find that animals are portals to our deepest emotions: tenderness, divine wonder, altruism, disgust, terror, and so on.

7:22 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Love that little face. I always think it would be fun to own a raccoon--I know, I am a hopeless romantic where animals are concerned. And I know some are meant to be wild, no matter how cute.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Bitterroot said...

Pam, you surely do tell a good story! You re-create a scene with much vividness.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home