Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Gorge


The Williams River, here in Vermont, was always a favorite kayaking destination. A splendid stretch of crystal clear water that weaves it's way through high valleys on the way down to the Connecticut River. It boasts small to medium rapids that are both beautiful and fun and fills the senses with breathtaking scenery.


Approximately ten miles from it's ultimate destination, the Williams takes it's final plunge at Brockways Mills Gorge. It drops over one hundred feet in a magnificent spill of roiling water, thundering over rocks worn smooth through time, then dances from pool to pool as it continues it's journey downward.

The landscape at the gorge is magnificent in any season but in winter, as ice crystals weave their lacy patterns where water touches rock and snow clings to every facade, a blue green wonderland emerges, a surreal and stunning visage.

12 Comments:

Blogger KGMom said...

Even though I am ready for the snow to melt, here in grungy central PA, your snow photos from Vermont are lovely. Such pristine beauty.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Vermont is one of the jewels of the US no matter what time of year and your words do it justice. Thanks Pam.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Pam, you write so beautifully I didn't even need a picture. They were great shots :)

PS You should do Sunday Scribbling

XXOO

4:51 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Beautiful! THanks for the trips! You're a great guide. It snowed here last night (still snowing this morning), so these little excursions were a welcome break. Thanks!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

PS Loved the Red Hat party, too! :)

12:34 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Well-written. I am reminded that it's primarily in rural areas that one can appreciate the beauty of winter. Cities do get grimy.

12:45 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

I've never kayaked, but I love white-water rafting. Great photos!

8:13 PM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

Jeez, that is such a beautiful area! Would you consider adopting a half-blind, chubby, blue-eyed Thai girl with an excellent disposition? :) The idea of waking up to that kind of beauty every day is appealing beyond measure!


Peace,

~Chani

9:45 PM  
Blogger Bitterroot said...

Oh Pam, what a wonderful description. Your words transported me from my present scene of blizzards and sleet into a world of exhilaration and delight.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Pam,
I'm catching up on blogging after several weeks of a ferocious pace at work. I don't even know which end is up right now.

I'm taking the morning to just relax, read, play with Tarzan, and visit favorite blogs.

I enjoyed this post a lot, both the images and the writing. I have marked the spot on my map, just in case Servet and I are ever in the vicinity.

The post about the red hat party made me smile. What a great present for an 80th birthday.

7:52 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

Please check out my Sunday night entry. I mentioned you. :)


Peace,

~chani

12:01 AM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

That print is such an analogy for my husband: beautiful, perfectly ordered, sometimes cold, but ultimately brilliant in his ability to let certain things flow in, certain things flow out. It touched me.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home