Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Children's Quest


I am dedicating this blog to my grandchildren who's commitment to a healthy environment is inspiring and absolute. They are painfully aware of the desperate condition of our planet and are applying their energies, both physical and spiritual, to a cleaner and healthier home for us all.
The following is a poem written by my granddaughter Paige, now thirteen, expressing the depth of her feelings about the devastation left to her generation. She asked me to say that I have inspired her but I feel that all of my grandchildren, with their keen intelligence and sensitivity, would have come to these conclusions on their own. I am so very proud of them all.
I painted a picture
But the colors didn't go
I wrote a song
But the words didn't flow
I had a dream
But I didn't know
That polluted skies
Terrified cries
Trashy parks
Presidential remarks
And a dying world
Was what I got
Left behind to fix the mess
I felt like this shouldn't be my quest
But i will try and fight
To make this earth right
By Paige Charland

11 Comments:

Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Beautiful art Spike and your grandaughter's poem was excellent. Of course you inpire them because they have grown up with concern for their enviornment. Well done, you!
LOVE

1:02 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

That's a very good poem. You must be very proud of your grandchildren! Your art is amazing.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Why, indeed, should they have to inherit this? I have never in my 74 years seen anything to match the mess that we are in now. Bush and his cronies have put us in a mess that will take at least 25 years to overcome and I hate that the children becoming adults will be the ones who inherit it. I just pray that we will all work together to make it a better world. What an amazing young lady is Paige. You must be bursting with pride, Pam.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

I'm sorry we don't seem to be able to leave this world a better place...Fixing it may take longer than we know. Maybe THEIR grandchildren will inherit a better world.

*High fives to your granddaughter* for a wonderfully perceptive poem!

7:07 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Pam--your granddaughter's poem is most evocative. Having read your blog, and seen your art, I know where she gets some of her creative genes.

7:41 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

Your art work is absolutely amazing Pam. It really tells the whole story when viewed large. I am so impressed.

I am also impressed with Paige's poem. She is obviously very talented, just like her grandmother.

If we have a liveable earth in the future, it will be because of people like you, your children and grandchildren.

Thank you.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You may tell Paige that her poem moved me.

11:43 PM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

Great poem.. and picture. I'm glad your granddaughter is already so socially conscious that she would write something like this. Kudos to her. :)


Peace,

~Chani

9:06 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Incredible picture, Pam! My great hope is that talented young people like Paige will be wise stewards for our precious planet Earth.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Bitterroot said...

Dear Paige,

Thank you for the excellent poem. You have a very deep understanding of the problems we face, and your powers of expression are extraordinary.

I understand why you are inspired by your grandmother. She has such a love for the earth and all natural things. You are very lucky to have a grandparent like her.

Best wishes to you...

Bitterroot

12:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There's so much to love about this post. It's great that you and your grandaughter can communicate on this plane. I loved my grandmother, but her English was weak, and she didn't understand America. I also felt like she didn't understand me.

The poem is so accurate in its simplicity. It is also so full of emotion.

Finally, the image is captivating. I found myself pulling in toward the screen to look more closely. Wonderful.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home