Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Tragedy


The shootings at Virginia Tech have, as all the school massacres that have come before, shocked and saddened us all. It is difficult to understand such a tragedy in a civilized society. Our world is changing and although I realize that many of those changes are of a positive nature, there is a decided breakdown in morality and a lack of responsibility for one's actions.

On the streets and in our homes, manners, respect and civility are on the decline. Violence, however, is on the incline from the media to life, desensitizing our youth to its consequences and we are paying a high price. From the young girl who called my daughter an effing bitch when she glanced in the girl's direction to teens beating one another and placing a video of the attack on YouTube, to murder.

I posted a poem on this emotional subject some time ago.I am posting it again in honor of souls lost and with hope for a better future for our children.


When I look back I remember the day
When children preferred to go out to play

We ran through fields and climbed up trees
Tumbling, rolling and scraping knees

Home for dinner, our family as one
Back out until dark, deep shadows were fun

No computer games, we explored outside
And bikes, not cars, were the way to ride

No fear of strangers, it was safe out there
We hollered and laughed without a care

No locked down schools, no people to dread
A wild night meant sneaking out after bed

Free expression back then was creative and fun
Not a kid full of rage at the end of a gun

9 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It seems that we usually always wanted to be outside or at least out with friends.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Powerful art to go with this poignant poem. It's a different and scary time and I can't help but think of our grandchildren.

XXOO

2:39 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Well said, and wonderfully illustrated. You capture the pain and shock of this senseless event.

3:14 PM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

It was very different for those of our generation. You know, I remember thinking about atomic bombs. We'd have to hide under the desk at school in preparation (as though it would have done any good.. lol). Never once did it occur to any of us that we would be attacked in classrooms. Heck, we thought stuff like rape and murder only occurred in bad neighborhoods.

We were wrong, eh?

Or was it really that way at one time?



Peace,

~Chani

8:17 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Pam - your poem made me homesick for the simpler time of my childhood. Today's kid are so cheated and your lines beautifully depict all that's been lost.

The picture is so filled with anguish - with the howl at the senseless loss. Seems we've lost so much.

11:35 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

Your artwork is so insightful and thought provoking and your words capture the agony of the day so well. You are a true artist, in every sense.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Thank you, Pam. I'm afraid our days of a "safe place" are gone & I fear for our children.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Pam - I'd be delighted to have you work with my swan! I've tweaked him a little with that filter business - the oil painting mode. Would you rather have the original or are you content with the blog version?

7:29 AM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

And you wonder why I have panic attacks sometimes. I'm an old fashioned girl in a crazy world. I'm a strong person, don't get me wrong, but you are so dead on. No pun intended. Frigtening image to say the least, also.

1:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home