Monday, April 30, 2007

Avast, Me Hearties




Back in my kayaking days two very good friends of mine, Susan and Kathy, were often my companions on the rivers and ponds of Vermont. The Williams River was a good choice for twists, turns and mild rapids, the Connecticut was chosen for day long trips with many stops for cheese, crackers, sweet summer fruit, water and the occasional beer. We often managed ten miles or more, paddling downriver on slow, lazy currants, pleasant conversation and laughter mingling with the splash of paddles and birdsong.


From the day I first launched my boat into green waters I swore that I was going to make and attach a pirate flag to my kayak and jokes were made about pillaging and plunder as we paddled our way through the warm, fragrant summers. Every spring I'd swear that that year would be the one when my promised flag would appear, but I never did get around to it.


And then, this last weekend, Susan and her husband came down for a visit on their return from a weeks vacation on an island off the coast of Florida (shared with Kathy and her husband) with a very unusual gift. A pirate flag! She and Kathy had come across it while shopping and could not resist. It will adorn both my power chair and wheelchair at every outing, warning all who pass that I am a force to be reckoned with.


Shiver me timbers! Aarrrr!

10 Comments:

Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Indeed you are a force to be reckoned with! I have never been down a lazy river (or one with rapids) before.

AARRRGGGHH and Avast, me hearty! It sounds like wonderful fun! Keep the flags flying. BTW, is that a yellow hat you're wearing, or does your head light up like that when you're having a good time?

10:08 AM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

That sounds like it was heavenly Spike! I want a picture of your flag proudly flying on your chair.
Love you!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That should be a lot of fun. Let us know how it goes.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Thanks for stopping by Flitzy, Pam. I note that you are an artist, as well as a former kayaker.

I will be interested to see how you manage your day with your disease, as I have recently been told by my doctor that my vision issues are a symptom of multiple sclerosis. I'm seeing a neurologist on Wednesday to see where/what this diagnosis means.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Bitterroot said...

And I love the pirate flag affixed to the kayak in your photo!

A great story, with beautiful memories captured forever in your vibrant word pictures. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your world, again!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

On exactly On Golden Pond, you're more like On Pirate River. I love it! I'll call you tomorrow at some point. I'll email you later with some of my thoughts on a magazine article.

5:26 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Oh wonderful--a pirate flag on your power chair & wheelchair. I think you need the parrot from Cathy's post http://lookingup1.blogspot.com/2007/04/got-any-guesses_29.html

You’ll have to feature an illustration of you riding the new waves!

8:20 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Pam! Perfect! What a great metaphor for plundering and pillaging the beauty of life - facing into the mystery with derring-do!

I like Donna's suggestion - a parrot to finish the look :0D

9:01 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

I love it, Pam. You are one stylin' pirate, indeedy mate!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Isn't it amazing how things come full circle? That flag was destined to be attached to your power chair...It will be a wonderful example of courage to all who see it.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home