Thursday, May 17, 2007

Simple Pleasures


Do you recognize this house? Most everyone does, it's the Walton's home from the show of the same name. That's me standing on the porch.

I hear friends and acquaintances of my generation complain about "the kids today" and how times have changed for the worse. I've been thinking about this a lot since it's been the cry of every aging generation. Most of us have heard our grandparents and parents talk of the changes wrought by the young folk of their time, sometimes in anger, sometimes in confusion and sometimes in appreciation. Remember the furor brought on by Elvis? As we age and as the world around us changes, we often resist. We find new ways and technologies difficult to understand as well as the youth that embraces them.

But life IS change, sometimes for the better, at times, not. What sticks with me now and worries me is that something fundamental and important seems to be changing and this change has a dark side. Our population appears to be in a head long rush to do everything, to have everything at breakneck speed, with no time for the simple pleasures of living or regard for what's left behind. "I was going to: play with my kids, call, visit, stop and smell the roses, let the people I love know how I feel about them, help... but I've been too busy," seems to be the mantra of the day for many. In the wake of our dash forward we are leaving a legacy of lost moments behind, time that can never be made up.

I'm all for progress and change but not at the expense of our children, our families and friends or the home of beauty and wonder we all share, earth.

13 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

And the congregation shouted a hearty AMEN!

I'm so grateful to not be caught up in that "busyness" that fills the lives of so many people.


Peace,


~Chani

3:46 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Wise words, Pam. We could all profit by stepping back and taking a deep breath and assessing just where were heading and at what price.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I feel the same way. Especially important are the friendships that we take time to nurture throughout life. Imagine all the gadgetry that our youth play with, but fail to have significant dialogue with their parents. BTW, the Waltons was my very favorite program of all time, then "I Love Lucy". Simplicity and simple humor.

8:16 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

One of the huge appeals of the show the Waltons was that it portrayed a life that many people longed for--whether it ever existed like that or not.
A good reminder to slow down & enjoy.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

Not sure if my comment was eaten. To repeat:I couldn't agree with you more. Slowing down is work for me, but I am so glad I do it. I would hate to have my kids grow up thinking that they have to do xy and z to be xy and z. I hope I'm not doing them a disservice, though. So many moms have their kids doing this and that... Me? Swim lessons is the first time ever. I don't know... you hit a nerve. One I agree with, but wrestle with. Thanks for always bringing up such great points.

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pam,
The Waltons! Wow, that is such a big part of my psyche. I agree with you on both points. The older population has always been dismayed by the decadence (spelling?) of the youngers ones. True even in the 15th and 16th centuries, and probably in Ancient Rome. But we all turn out ok.

Secondly, the maniacal rush to DO and to MULTI-TASK and to feel STRESSED, as if it were a badge of honor. I see moms here running along, pushing twins in a roller stroller and talking on their cell phones!

The sit-down family dinner has become a nostalgic image on commercials. Less is more.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

I always loved that house and, although we used to make fun of it, our family still imitates the "Good night, Mary Ellen, Good Night, John-Boy, etc." when we are together as a big group.
The simple life has so much going for it.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I like to be able to hold the Smudge without thinking that I should be getting on to x-number of other things. Sometimes, or often I guess, we need to revel in the present.

12:38 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Thoughtful post, Pam. So true all this busyness with little time to putter in a garden, spend an afternoon reading a book or having a coffee with a friend. Children become so scheduled with activities that they often can't stand having any quiet time.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

My favorite show as a kid! Thought provoking post and I wholeheartedly agree.

XXOO

3:47 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

The beautiful artwork you sent to Dale has a place of honor on the cork board next to his bed. It is absolutely beautiful.

Thank you so much.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Cuppa said...

Great post Pam. Thanks.

We have got to stop being "humanDOings" and get back to being
'HumanBEings" don't we?

Oh the joy and beauty of BEing in the moment and not DOing it away without any thought.

Thanks for the reminder today.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mimi,
just checking in on your site see what you are up to! the new piece(thought process) is absolutly awesome can i get a print of that for my office?
-shawn

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home