Thursday, July 10, 2008

On the Road Again




For those of you who read my blog back at the beginning, you may recall a story about my famous car, the U.S.S. Tin Can. It served my grandchildren and me well and everyone knew, when they saw it, that Spike (that was my nick name) and the gang were tooling around town. There is now a new vehicle in town, the Tin Can II. I am the proud owner of a beautiful ' 96 van, thanks to a benefit held in my behalf. A ramp has been ordered and before you know it, I will be back on the road again.

The benefit was an extraordinary happening and by way of explanation, I am going to post the letter of thanks I wrote for the local paper.
THANK YOU!


On Friday night, the 30th of last month, friends held a benefit for me at the Elks club in Springfield. Because of my illness I was not able to attend but have been told that it was a huge success. Everyone tells me the food was excellent, the auction fun and that they enjoyed themselves very much, which makes me very happy for, if you know me, you know I have always appreciated a good bash.

I wish to thank, with all of my heart, the people responsible for such an incredible happening. Thanks to Donna Mae Peck and Pat Barton for getting it all off the ground, for their hard work and determination, and for caring enough to make it all come together. Thanks to them both for the delicious buffet you all enjoyed and for their work in the kitchen. Thanks go to Marry Cross for baking scads of scrumptious cookies and for her assistance at the benefit. And thanks to Carol Peck and Kathy Chase for their help and to the other Mrs. Antonivich for digging into the dishes at the end of the evening. I know there were others who came in and out of the kitchen to help and I wish to thank them, also. Kudos to Rod Crandall, I hear he did an excellent job running the auction. And of course, thanks to the people of the Elks for letting the ladies use their club.

Last, but certainly not least, I want to thank everyone who donated to the auction, all of you who gave donations to the cause and everyone who came to the benefit and bid on the terrific items from stores and businesses in the area. Your generosity and kindness have touched me deeply; I am, in a word, overwhelmed. My heart is full, my spirit intact and with people like you in my corner, I will find it easier to fight for life. Bless you all!

Peace

We have been experiencing humid, heavy air in our neck of the woods and it makes it difficult for me to talk into my dragon software. As soon as the air clears some and I catch my wind, I will be able to catch up with my friends and leave comments on the blogs that, for now, I can only read. You are all with me everyday and I am looking forward to reentering land of blogging.

9 Comments:

Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Wheeee, Batman (Spike)! What a grand gift! I hope you will be able to get much use out of it, and run it around until the tires are bald!

Blessings light upon you, my friend. I love you.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

PS Go over to Chiefbiscuit's place and take a look at her new baby!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

OH, and btw, this is me, Pepek. I'm just sayin'.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Blogger ate my longer mushy post...grrr!

I'll be calling next week Spike...beep, beep!

Yayyyyyyyyyy!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Aw, that's so nice and totally deserved, I'm sure.

That name, Antonivich: I thinks it's only the second time I've heard. Pretty sure I taught a kid by that name once -- long time ago in Sarnia.

7:10 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Ahh---Pam--to have such friends. What a boon.
Glad to hear you will have wheels again.
And take your time, catch your breath. We will be here awaiting your return.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

What an amazing world we live in where there are people like the ones in your community. Enjoy your van and know that there is an abundance of love coming your way from your blogger friends too.
Your spirit lifts me every time I visit your blog. Lots of hugs.

8:23 PM  
Blogger joared said...

Glad to hear you have such wonderful friends. That Tin Can II sounds great to be wheelin' around in.

4:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the most wonderful news. Yay!!

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home