Thursday, August 07, 2008

Looking To the Future


This past June marked the end of my fourth year with ALS and I am celebrating. Celebrating because I am beating the odds as I move into my fifth year. I am celebrating because this weekend is my 66th birthday and I am still alive, still squeezing everything that I possibly can out of each day. I am celebrating the joy of family and as I watch my grandchildren grow and blossom I am happy that they never shy away from my illness but continue to share their lives with me. I am celebrating because my husband, who has had a very hard time adjusting and whose pain had started to turn to anger, has started to smile and laugh with me once again.

So much has happened these past four years. Some old friends, intimidated by my illness, have disappeared from my life. But more have stood by me and I have made some wonderful new friends. My ex-husband stays in touch and helps when he can, which is a long way from where we were and a longer way from where he was. And Although I have had to give up my art as I knew it, I have learned new ways to express myself on the computer through art, poetry and commentary. I have learned that I can make friends in cyberspace, very good friends, and that they help to keep me strong, too.

On August 18 my best friend Lolly, my two caregivers (Barbara I, my Guardian Angel and a dear friend and Barbara II, a new friend) are taking me to the Maine coast for three days so that I may enjoy the ocean. We are going to rent a beach wheelchair and walk the shoreline, eat lobster, play cards and laugh in the face of adversity. We will be celebrating!


P.S. we are having a very wet and humid summer here in New England and it makes it hard for me to talk into my Dragon software. I know I have mentioned this before, but the heavy air is relentless and I want you all to know that I will get back to commenting and blogging as soon as we have some relief. I miss you and want to thank you for your continued comments to my infrequent posts in spite of my absence.

11 Comments:

Blogger Ginnie said...

Pam, it is wonderful to read your new post. I'm so glad that you are going to get to go to Maine. You are truly my hero and your outlook on life has helped me more than you'll ever know.
I pray that the weather will be perfect and a good relief from the heat and humidity.
Lots of love and hugs.....

5:25 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Congratulations on reaching 66 and doing it in grand style. You continue to remind me to embrace my time which is shorter than longer for many of us who read your blog. Blessings upon you.

6:50 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Good to hear you are celebrating. Happy Birthday, dear.
I just read about Dragon softward in the NY Times today--and I remembered that you had written about it. Most interesting. Thank goodness someone came up with it, so we all can have your writing!

9:31 PM  
Blogger Bitterroot said...

May your celebrations be as heart-warming and inspiring as your writings and your art!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

I have always wanted to go to Maine! Just put me in your pocket (as an old friend used to say to me) and take me along....and have a great time watching the ocean and eating and playing cards! Have a Happy Birthday, dear friend--you're almost up with me! Hope the air lightens up soon--we all miss you.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Crayons said...

Happy Birthday dear Pam! This is truly a day to celebrate. I envy you the trip to Maine. It must be so frustrating that the humidity is creating even more obstacles for you.

It's helpful to remind us that your illness progresses. I continue to experience your blogging spirit just as I felt it when I met you.

I loved, loved, loved your note to me last week. Thank you so much.

Crack a lobster leg for me and dip it in butter.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Happy, Happy Birthday Pam! Sometimes when I'm stupidly feeling sorry for myself, I go to your blog and read a few of your uplifting posts. I always find inspiration in your thoughts and strength. I think of you often.

I surely hope you are having a great time on your trip. I've never been to the ocean, but I'll bet it's wonderful - so wild and free! Have a "ton" of lobster, eat lots of cake and laugh 'til your sides ache! Happy Birthday again!!

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pam your words are such an inspiration. Happy Happy Birthday.

10:04 AM  
Blogger joared said...

Guess it's never too late to wish you a happy birthday since I just got back here for a visit and to catch up with your activities.

Congrats on all that you are celebrating. Unfortunately some friends disappear from our lives for many reasons including such as you describe -- that's their loss.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Sending some hugs to you on this chilly first day of December...everybody can use a hug or two on a chilly day! {{{HUGS}}}

11:49 AM  
Blogger Cameron VSJ said...

Hi Pam,

I have a quick question for you regarding your blog, but I couldn't find your contact information. Do you think you could send me an email whenever you get a chance?

Thanks,

Cameron

cameronvsj(at)gmail(dot)com

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home