Thursday, August 28, 2008

What a Time We Had!


The gals, from left to right. Lolly, Barb two and Barb one.









I finally made it back to the ocean after a three-year absence thanks to the efforts of my angel and friend, Barb one, my new friend and caregiver, Barb two and my dear and wonderful friend, Lolly. We went to Ogunquit Maine, stayed at a lovely old hotel in Perkins Cove, dined in three of the areas most terrific restaurants, did a little shopping in the local artisan shops and even got to walk on the beach. And laugh, oh how we laughed!

I discovered that I was not embarrassed at having to be fed out in public (I was a little worried about that one) but my friends made it all seem very natural so I was quite relaxed and just went with the flow. And I didn't feel too terribly self-conscious when tourists stared at me as I was efficiently maneuvered in and out of the van. (Bless all the people responsible for my awesome van, by the way, without it; none of this would have ever been possible!) My lungs even cooperated and remained strong enough for me to be out of the hotel and away from breathing assistance for long stretches of time. I think it was all that beautiful sea air!

The glow from our trip remains with me and my memories are as bright and shining as the sea glass I now wear around my neck. I am, most assuredly, a very happy woman.












16 Comments:

Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

You look so happy Batman! What amazing angels you have. :) XXOO
Love you!

3:34 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Ahhh--Pam--I love your beach buggy. And the tilt of your jaunty hat--that says it all. So glad you got to do this. And hats off to your friends and caregivers who made it possible.
The restorative powers of the sea!

3:51 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Yay Pam! I'm sure it was beneficial for all.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Dear Pam: I am overjoyed for you and must tell you how much you were in my thoughts over the past 6 days. I succumbed to a near fainting spell and fever and sweats last week and found myself admitted to the hospital. After many tests and a ton of blood draws it seems that my blood is way out of whack and we're trying to find out why. Some of the possibilities are pretty frightening and I kept thinking, "If I keep Pam uppermost in my mind I'll get the strength to see this through". I just came home today upon orders of bed rest and in 10 days my Dr. will have the "send-out" labs back and we hope to get to the bottom of it.
As you know, you are my hero and I thank you for helping me keep a positive attitude and never to lose hope.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Oh, mama, how I loved this post--to see you having such a great time with your friends made me take a deep breath of--what seemed to me--crisp, clean sea air! And that sea-glass necklace! Every time you look at it you can relive the experience with your friends, God bless them, and you!

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful Pam. I too love the ocean and so understand the thrill. I noticed your chair seemed to have special wheels just made for traveling over sandy beaches. I am so happy for you. Love the photos.

10:01 AM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

You look absolutely stunning, the beach really becomes you.

I am so happy you had such a lovely vacation. You deserve it.

Thanks for sharing your lovely photos.

You are loved,
Laurie

12:17 AM  
Blogger Crayons said...

You look just radiant! I have always felt the ocean carries healing powers. I can understand your feelings about people staring and about being fed by friends. I would have the same worries. But it seems like you all have such a deep bond. My dad (a physician) always talked about having the grace to accept a helping hand. You embody that grace. I smiled and grinned as I read this post.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Crayons said...

Hi Pam,
I just stopped in to visit you. I enjoyed seeing these photos again. I'm thinking of you.

love,
Caroline

3:50 PM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Hows the weather? Hope things are cooling off a bit. Just dropped in to let you know I am thinking about you.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

I check your blog faithfully with hopes that you are OK. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

7:57 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

I check often as well. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

With love,
Laurief

8:02 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

One more supporter checking on you, Pam--and hoping that all is as well as can be.
Your gentle voice is missed.

8:30 AM  
Blogger joared said...

Enjoyed the account of your ocean trip and the pictures. Sounds like a delightful time was had by all. Ah, the laughter, walking on the beach, and breathing the sea air. So glad you overcame reservations about what others might think as you just live within your limitations and do what is necessary to experience a good time. What memories you have! Thanks for sharing here.

5:40 AM  
Blogger Joyce Ellen Davis said...

I miss you! I *Heart* you!

{{{Hugs}}}

1:06 PM  
Blogger joared said...

Just thought I'd stop by for a "day at the beach" again, via your photos. Thinking good thoughts of you.

2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home